- Language of instruction: English. See English requirements.
- Courses at Otago are called 'papers'.
- While there is no limit on the number of students accepted to a particular course, entry to any course is based on relevant academic background.
- University of Otago grading Scale
Level of courses
- 100: often first year papers; most have no pre-requisites.
- 200 and 300 (2nd and 3rd year): you must meet prerequisites to take these courses at Otago.
- 400 and above: Honours/Graduate level papers.
- Full list of courses offered at Otago
- Summer School
- Study options for international students when English is a second language (PDF)
- Discover Aotearoa/New Zealand - A selection of New Zealand and Pacific-focused courses (PDF)
- Discover Aotearoa/New Zealand - Fieldwork courses (PDF)
- Study Global Studies at Otago
- Languages at Otago
- Law: A selection of courses at the Faculty of Law may be available to high achieving non-law students.
Exchange students are required to maintain a full time student status while at Otago.
- Minimum Course Load: 54 Points per semester (3 papers).
- Recommended Course Load: 54-72 Points per semester (3 or 4 papers).
- Only in exceptional circumstances an Otago Academic Advisor will approve a programme of 5 papers per semester.
- Otago workload information
- Law: students from non-English speaking countries or from a civil law background can take maximum of 3 Law papers (45 points) per semester. A 4th paper will be required in order to fulfil the minimum 54 points immigration requirement.
- Academic Year: February to November
- Semester One: February to June
- Semester Two: July to November
- Summer School: January to February
- International School: June – July
- Key Otago dates
Prepare for Otago
The University of Otago offers a free course for new exchange students in February only. The course focusing on study, language and cultural skills. Limited number of places available. You are encouraged to apply early.
Prepare for Otago application form.
In 2020 the Prepare for Otago course will be held from 10 February - 14 February.
Please check when the examination period ends at Otago prior to booking your return flight. Students must sit their final exams on the Otago campus.
Official grades are available to students online as soon as grades are released. Your Otago transcripts will be sent to your home University at the end of your study at Otago. Transcripts are usually posted in:
March (Summer School); July (Semester One); December (Semester Two).