Please do not contact this university directly.
For all enquiries please contact the Exchange Office at email@example.com.
Last updated April 2018
Language of Instruction
Portuguese and a limited number of courses in English.
Courses taught in English have a content based on Brazilian and Latin American aspects, such as: culture, literature, business, design, civilization and history.
Course descriptions are available at:
- Level I Portuguese is covered under the exchange agreement and it is mandatory for all students.
- A Pre-Term Portuguese Intensive Courses is offered twice a year: January/February and July. This course is not mandatory and it is not covered under the exchange agreement with PUC Rio.
- Pre-Term Portuguese Intensive Course
- Students willing to take courses offered in Portuguese will complete a placement test as part of their application.
- Academic Year: February - December
- Fall Term: February/March - July
- Winter Term: July/August - December
Course Load and Minimum Unit Requirements
- At PUC Rio students must take a minimum of 2 courses and a maximum of 6 courses per semester, including the Portuguese class.
- 1 academic credit is equivalent to 1 class-hour (50 minutes) of lecture class in a 15 weeks semester.
Accommodation & the Cost of Living
Estimated Cost of Living
Student Visa & Insurance
Information on Student Visas & Insurance for students going on exchange can be found elsewhere on this website.
The University, City & Region
Recognized worldwide as one of the most important doctoral research centres in the country, the Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio) is a private non-profit Catholic University, was founded in 1940 with the objective of developing knowledge based on humanistic values. The university now has 21,000 students from a variety of religious, ethnic and social backgrounds.
PUC-Rio is located in Gávea, a charming neighbourhood near the forest and beaches of the Zona Sul area of Rio de Janeiro. Its campus is beautifully situated within a tropical forest, surrounded by lush trees and with a small stream running through it. Visitors and students can often see small monkeys and squirrels jumping among the trees.
The City of Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro is an exciting city perfectly situated between a lush tropical forest and the Atlantic Ocean. Rio provides its residents and visitors alike with a majestic realm of colors, sounds and smells.
With an intense cultural life, Rio de Janeito is the perfect place for those who want to immerse themselves into the South American reality: plays, shows, concerts, exhibitions, street performances, scientific conferences, cultural debates - everything happens in Rio.
For further information about Otago Global Student Exchange please email firstname.lastname@example.org