Please do not contact this university directly.
For all enquiries please contact the Exchange Office at email@example.com.
Last updated July, 2018
Language of Instruction
Japanese and English.
- The Junior Year Overseas Programme (JOY) offers a broad-based curriculum of courses taught in English for students who wish to learn more about the many faces of Japan-its society, culture, business, environment, and advances in science and technology, among others-while working on their Japanese language skills if they want to. JOY thus welcomes a wide spectrum of students, from those who have never taken Japanese but want to learn more about what Japan has to offer, to those who wish to hone their Japanese while pursuing advanced studies in their specialty.
- Japanese Language and Culture Programme - the aim is to assist students who specialize in the Japanese language or culture in their home countries to deepen their studies of Japan while improving their Japanese language skills and understanding of Japanese culture at Japanese universities.
- YNU Programmes
- Academic Year: April - February
- First Semester: April - July
- Second Semester: October - February
- YNU semester dates
Course Load and Minimum Unit Requirements
- Minimum course load: twelve credits per semester.
- Two credits for non-language courses = 90 minutes of class.
- JOY Programme: students must take a mixture of courses in English (a minimum of four credits per semester) and Japanese language courses (a minimum of six credits per semester).
Accommodation and the Cost of Living
Yokohama National University has four dormitories for YNU international students.
Cost of Living
Please budget for a minimum of JPY80,000 per month (2018).
Scholarships available for students going to Japan
Student Visa and Insurance
Information on Student Visas and Insurance for students going on exchange can be found elsewhere on this website.
The University, City and Region
Yokohama National University (YNU) was established in 1949 and has developed into a university composed of four faculties-Education and Human Sciences, Economics, Business Administration, and Engineering-and four graduate schools-Education, the International Graduate School of Social Sciences, Engineering, and Environment and Information Sciences-with over 1,000 faculty and staff and more than 10,000 students. Founded on fifty years of history and tradition, Yokohama National University is a highly international institution that values practical and viable scholarship, and conducts education and research that aim for a university that is individual, open to society, and actively undertaking new experiments.
Yokohama National University has over 850 international students from 66 countries.
The City of Yokohama
Yokohama iis a vibrant, varied, and international community, combining the old Western mansions of Yamate with the neon glitter of Chinatown, the traditional architecture of Sankeien with the modern complex of Minato Mirai 21. Convenient to Tokyo, the ancient capital of Kamakura, and the hot springs of Hakone, Yokohama is a splendid site for learning about Japan and its relation to the world.
For further information about Otago Global Student Exchange please email firstname.lastname@example.org