Do you have an innovative idea to solve a global challenge? You could win the chance to present your idea at an international competition in Canada!
Why join the Challenge?
The World's Challenge Challenge is an exciting way to engage in discussion and debate about world issues such as climate change and poverty, and to bring your own ideas to the table. Global change starts with one idea, one discussion. Who knows where it may lead?
Finalists will have an opportunity to network with some of the best and brightest students from around the world, participate in academic events, generate further discussion around global issues, and experience a taste of Canadian hospitality.
Who can participate
- Current University of Otago undergraduate and postgraduate students of good standing.
- Participating teams must consist of 2 to 4 members, ideally from different disciplines.
- A minimum of 2 members of the team must be in Dunedin for the final presentation at Otago University on 27 February 2020.
- Teams are encouraged to bring together individuals from diverse backgrounds or areas of study
- Teams need to think of a global issue and/or challenge that the world is facing and present their unique solution to a panel of judges. You are encouraged to refer to the Global Goals page when choosing the global challenge that your team will tackle.
- WCC Rules and presentation requirements
- Each presentation will be judged using the World's Challenge Challenge scoring rubric (PDF)
- Watch the Video of the 2019 World’s Challenge Challenge Global Final
How to apply
2020 Application Timeline
|3 Feb||Applications close|
|7 Feb||Finalists notified. Start to prepare your 5–7 minute team presentation.|
|27 Feb||Finalists present at Otago before a panel of judges. The winning team is announced!|
|8-11 Jun||The winning team participates in the International World's Challenge Challenge at Western University, Canada for a chance to win CAN$30,000!|
- First Place: each team member will win a trip to compete in the International World's Challenge Challenge at Western University in Ontario, Canada. Flights, accommodation and meals will be included.
- Second Place: $50 gift card per person
- Third place: $30 gift card per person
World’s Challenge Challenge winners
- First Place: CAD$30,000
- Second Place: CAD$15,000
- Third Place: CAD$7,500
The intention for prize money is to help further develop the proposed solution and support implementation.
Do you need team members?
We created a closed Facebook group to allow you to connect with other Otago students.
Ask to join: Otago WCC – find a team member