Accessibility Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu

For international students under 18

If you are under 18 when you enter the University of Otago, it’s important you read the following information, so you are aware of the obligations that apply to you.

It’s important that your parents or legal guardian also read this information.


As you will be under 18 years old when you start at the University of Otago the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students * says you must live in one of the following kinds of accommodation:

  • a homestay
  • Aquinas Residential College
  • Salmond Residential college
  • Toroa Residential College
  • with a Designated Caregiver
  • with your parents.

You may not live in any other type of accommodation while you are under 18.

A Designated Caregiver must be a relative or a close family friend. If your parents would like you to live with a designated caregiver, your parents must sign an indemnity document. Please contact the International Student Advisers and ask for an Indemnity Document for Students Living with a Designated Caregiver. We’ll send you a form for your parents to complete and return to us.

Your Designated Caregiver must also sign an agreement. Once we receive the Indemnity Document signed by your parents, we will send the Designated Caregiver Agreement to the Designated Caregiver and arrange to inspect the property and meet the Designated Caregiver.

Note: Accommodation is subject to the approval of the University of Otago.

Contact details

While you are under 18, the University must have up to date contact details of your parents or legal guardian. Please contact the International Student Advisers and we’ll send you a form for your parents to complete.

Quarterly meetings and reports

While you are under 18, you must meet on a regular basis with an International Student Adviser to discuss your academic progress, accommodation, general health and well-being and any concerns you may have. If we are concerned about your welfare or academic progress, we will send a report to your parents or legal guardian. You are, of course, able to meet with us at any other time as well.


Please register for an Orientation Enrolment Seminar offered during the week prior to the start of the semester.  You should identify yourself as an Under 18 student to the International Student Adviser (ISA) giving the seminar.  You will be asked to come to the International Office to meet with an ISA, who will check that all the required documents for you have been received.

Note: You will be unable to complete Course Approval until all required documents have been received.

Please feel free to contact us directly should you have any questions about these procedures or other aspects of being an under 18 international student at the University of Otago.

We look forward to meeting you!

* The University of Otago is a signatory to the New Zealand Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students (the Code). The Code is a document that provides a framework for service delivery by educational providers and their agents to international students. The Code sets out the minimum standards of advice and care that the University is expected to provide to international students. The Code also sets out additional obligations in relation to students who are under the age of 18 while studying at the University.