Accessibility Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu

Visa and insurance

Student visa

You need to be granted a student visa before entering New Zealand and continue to hold a valid student visa throughout your enrolment period at the University of Otago.

Full details of student visa requirements from Immigration New Zealand.

Bringing your family

If you’re planning on bringing your spouse/partner and/or children with you to New Zealand, they will need to apply for an appropriate visa based on their circumstances.

Visa information for families from Immigration New Zealand.

Renewing your student visa

When renewing your student visa you can either:

^ Top of page

Medical and travel insurance

All international students are required to have comprehensive health and travel insurance while in New Zealand.

The University of Otago’s recommended policy is Studentsafe Inbound University. When you enrol you will automatically be covered by Studentsafe, and the insurance premium will be added to your student account.

Further insurance details.

^ Top of page