Accessibility Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu

Problems Accessing University Legacy Network and Services - Monday 17 July

Update: All issues have now been resolved and all services have returned to normal operation.

5:00pm, 17 July: Further issues with the Legacy network were experienced between 4:10 - 4:30pm Monday 17 July.
10:00am, 16 July: Normal access to services (on and off campus) was restored at approximately 6:30pm Saturday 15 July. Email was queued during the period of network problems and delivery resumed once access was restored.
The problems were caused by a fault in core network infrastructure for the legacy/old network which had flow on effects throughout the network.
6:20pm, 15 July: Access to services is becoming available again as network equipment comes back online. We will continue to monitor.
6:00pm, 15 July: Unfortunately network issues resurfaced late afternoon. These are mainly affecting legacy network services. Network engineers are working to resolve these. However, we are unable to provide an expected resolution time at this stage. This is also affecting access to the University website from off-campus.

Time Frame: 8:00am until approximately 1:50pm, and again from late afternoon, Saturday, 15 July 2017

Audience: All staff and students

Services Affected:

  • On-campus access to the old/legacy network (wired and wireless)
  • Off-campus network access (VPN) - unable to access services once connected via VPN
  • Staff email - access and delivery to/from external email addresses
  • Door access (Cardax) - access only for swipecards with details stored in the local card reader memory
  • Several other online services


A fault with a component in the old/legacy network infrastructure resulted in loss of/degraded access to the above services. A severity 1 (highest priority) call was immediately raised with our network partner.

Initially, the impact of this fault was more widespread affecting access to many services. ITS staff, in conjunction with our network partner, successively restored access over the morning and all services were available again by approximately 1:50pm. We will continue to monitor the situation.

Our apologies for the disruption to access.