MATLAB is a programming environment specifically designed for people who need to analyse and visualise data or do calculations. MATLAB software is available for Mac, Windows and Linux computer platforms.
On this page you will find information about purchasing and licensing MATLAB software through Information Technology Services (ITS) including:
System requirements for MATLAB software
MATLAB software usage and licence terms
- Staff and students can use MATLAB software on University-owned computers
- Staff can use MATLAB software on their home computers for University work only, while they are employed by the University
- Students can use MATLAB on their personal computers for University work only, while they are studying at the University
- An annual licence for MATLAB software is available through ITS. The licence period is 1 March to 28 February
- MATLAB is also available to use without a licence through the managed Student Desktop or Staff Desktop - go to Start > All Programs > MATLAB 2018a
Prices for MATLAB software
University departments and students
There is no cost for MATLAB software. The University holds a site licence for MATLAB software, but all MATLAB licences must be ordered and recorded through the process below.
Ordering MATLAB software through ITS
Complete the MATLAB order form (PDF format, 67 KB) to order MATLAB software from ITS.
Staff also need to complete and submit a Work at Home application form to ITS if they wish to use MATLAB software on their home computer.
Departments must order the MATLAB software for their students. Both the student and the authorising department must sign the Student MATLAB Request form (PDF format, 73 KB). Departments are responsible for installing MATLAB onto the student's computer.