Here are just a few of the potential areas of employment for language graduates:
- Media and communications e.g. journalism, public relations, press agency and broadcasting work
- Foreign language teaching at all levels. High school language teaching is GROWING!
- International business such as trade, export marketing and sales in large international companies
- Diplomatic service. The ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade is always looking for graduates with language skills!
- Tourism industry opportunities in hospitality, airline services, tour operators and guides, and marketing
- Library and Information services involving work in archives, libraries, museums and galleries
- Service providers to New Zealand's multi-cultural communities
- Translating and interpreting in all of the above fields and in other areas
Language learning has many benefits
- Over one third of businesses employ people specifically for their language and cross-cultural skills (many national firms have overseas branches, and others come to New Zealand from abroad)
- Multi-lingual employees can expect higher level positions
- Language learning improves your multi-tasking abilities
- There are proven intellectual AND cognitive benefits to learning multiple languages