Students will be able to develop skills in Spanish language to an intermediate level, with emphasis on speaking, listening, reading and writing skills. They will also be trained in the grammatical analysis of intermediate-level Spanish.
Course Coordinator: Dr. Adelso Yanez
The development of skills in Spanish language to an intermediate level, with emphasis on speaking, listening, reading and writing. Students will increase their proficiency in Spanish communication and develop their knowledge of the culture and values of Spanish peoples.
Are you interested in learning Spanish? Are you planning to travel around Latin America or Spain? This paper will develop students' skills in Spanish language to an intermediate level, with emphasis on speaking, listening, reading and writing. Students will also be trained in the grammatical analysis of intermediate-level Spanish.
|Paper title||Intermediate Spanish 1|
|Teaching period||Semester 1 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$913.95|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,073.40|
- SPAN 102 or SPAN 132
- SPAN 102 or SPAN 132
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- Students should choose the level of paper appropriate to their knowledge of the language. Students may be moved to a higher or lower level of language paper at the discretion of the Programme Co-ordinator. If you have previous knowledge of the language you can still enrol in this paper via Special Permission by proceeding with your application process to the Review and Submit page or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Suitable for undergraduate students interested in learning Spanish language and culture with previous experience.
- Teaching staff
Paper Convenor: Dr Adelso Yanez
- Paper Structure
SPAN 231 is a paper aimed at consolidating the knowledge of the Spanish language acquired at the 100-level. In addition, some of the more complicated elements of Spanish grammar will be covered. This paper emphasises an understanding of intermediate-level grammar, the oral practice of the language and reading comprehension.
The teaching methodology used in SPAN 231 is student-centred, with the lecturer acting as facilitator and with the ultimate goal of making the students independent users of the Spanish language. The lecturer will conduct the class in Spanish, and students are expected to communicate with classmates and their lecturer/instructor in Spanish.
- Teaching Arrangements
- Three lectures per week and one tutorial.
Blitt, Mary Ann and Margarita Casa. Exploraciones (with ILrn Printed Access Card), 2nd edition (2015).
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication, Critical thinking, Research,
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students who successfully complete the paper should be able to
- Maintain a conversation in Spanish of 10-15 minutes
- Write compositions of up to 400 words with the help of a Spanish-English dictionary
- Read and comprehend texts in Spanish of up to 800 words