Which Spanish language paper should I enrol in?
The appropriate entry point for Spanish language papers depends on your current level of Spanish. Each enrolment is ultimately at the discretion of the Spanish Programme, but the following broad guidelines apply.
Students who have never studied Spanish or whose experience of Spanish is minimal and dates from many years ago, or who have only completed one year at high school, should enrol for SPAN131. This paper is designed for complete beginners.
Students who have studied Spanish for two or three years at high school in the relatively recent past, or have completed SPAN131, should enrol for SPAN132.
For students who have completed four to five years at high school, or who have NCEA Level 2 or 3 in Spanish, or an equivalent qualification, SPAN231 or SPAN232 might be the appropriate paper to enrol for. This paper reviews and consolidates the major grammar points from NCEA Levels 2 and 3.
eVision does not understand that students may be eligible for a paper such as SPAN132 or SPAN232 on the basis of their prior learning and current level of Spanish - eVision will only see a student who does not have the prerequisite (SPAN131 and SPAN132 respectively) and will require that you seek "Special permission" to enrol in that paper. At this stage of the eVision enrolment, you should give as much context as possible in the field provided (ie NCEA level, and year attained), as well as providing the same context to firstname.lastname@example.org. Email us if you have any further queries or need assistance with your enrolment.
To see the programme requirements for a BA in Spanish, BA (Hons) in Spanish and DipLang in Spanish – click here
*Not offered in 2020
100 Level Papers
200 Level Papers
- SPAN231 Intermediate Spanish 1
- SPAN232 Intermediate Spanish 2
- SPAN233 Business Spanish*
- SPAN243 Latin American Culture and Literature
- SPAN250 Myths in Hispanic Culture
- SPAN251 Latin American Cultural Tourism
300 Level Papers
- SPAN331 Advanced Spanish 1
- SPAN332 Advanced Spanish 2
- SPAN341 Special Topic in Hispanic Culture*
- SPAN342 The Spanish Civil War & Historical Memory*
- SPAN343 Latin American Popular Culture*
- SPAN350 Myths in Hispanic Culture
- SPAN351 Latin American Cultural Tourism