Spanish 232 emphasises an understanding of intermediate level grammar, the oral practice of the language and reading comprehension. The teaching methodology used in Spanish 232 is student-centred, with the lecturer/tutor acting as facilitator, and the ultimate goal of teaching to make the students independent users of the Spanish language. It is expected that students will make mistakes when using a new language. Trial and error is considered a necessary and important part of language acquisition. The lecturer/tutor will conduct the class in Spanish and students are expected to communicate with classmates and their instructor in Spanish.
Course Coordinator: Francisco Araya
A continuation of SPAN231, further developing intermediate-level skills in speaking, listening, reading and writing and in the grammatical analysis of Spanish.
Are you interested in expanding your knowledge of Spanish? Do you want to better appreciate Hispanic cultural contributions? This paper, a continuation of SPAN 231, will give students skills in speaking, listening, reading and writing and in the grammatical analysis of Spanish.
|Paper title||Intermediate Spanish 2|
|Teaching period||Semester 2 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$955.05|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- SPAN 201 or SPAN 231
- SPAN 202 or SPAN 331 or any other more advanced Spanish language paper
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- Students should choose the level of paper appropriate to their knowledge of the language. Students may be moved to a higher or lower level of language paper at the discretion of the Programme Co-ordinator. If you have previous knowledge of the language you can still enrol in this paper via Special Permission by proceeding with your application process to the Review and Submit page or email email@example.com for assistance.
- Suitable for undergraduate students interested in learning Spanish language and culture with previous experience.
- Teaching staff
Paper Co-ordinator: Tiffany Trotman
- Paper Structure
- SPAN 232 emphasises an understanding of intermediate-level grammar, the oral practice of the language and reading comprehension. The teaching methodology used in SPAN 232 is student-centred, with the lecturer/tutor acting as facilitator, and the ultimate goal is to make the students independent users of the Spanish language. The lecturer/tutor will conduct the class in Spanish, and students are expected to communicate with classmates and their lecturer/tutor in Spanish.
- Teaching Arrangements
- Four lectures per week.
Blitt, Mary Ann and Margarita Casas. Exploraciones Intermedio (bundled with MindTap), 2nd edition (2020).
- Course outline
Contact the Languages and Cultures programme for a short course outline.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication, Critical thinking, Self-motivation,
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete the paper should be able to:
- Maintain a conversation in Spanish of 15-20 minutes
- Write compositions of up to 500 words with the help of a Spanish-English dictionary
- Read and comprehend texts in Spanish of up to 1,200 words