Thursday 8 December - Friday 9 December 2016.
University of Otago Auckland Centre, 385 Queen St, Auckland.
Please note this is an invitation-only event.
Draft papers for the colloquium are available below. Many of these papers will be revised for publication in Briggs, Henaghan, Palmer and Peart (eds), Modern Family Finances (Intersentia, September 2017, ISBN 978-1-78068-464-2). If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
- Bill Atkin, Classifying Relationship Property: A Radical Re-shaping?
- Margaret Briggs, What relationships should be included in a property division regime? A New Zealand perspective
- John Caldwell, Maintenance - Time for a Clean Break?
- Margaret Casey, How does the mixture of rule, discretion and other legal tools really operate under New Zealand Statutory Scheme for the division of capital assets on relation breakdown? A COMMENTARY FROM PRACTICE
- Vivienne Crawshaw, Jurisdiction Issues – Should I Stay or Should I go?
- Rosalind Croucher, A Lament for Family Provision - A Good Idea Gone Wrong? Australian Reflections
- Robert Fisher, Relationship Property - Should New Zealand's Regime be Mandatory or Optional?
- Mark Henaghan, Exceptions to 50/50 Sharing of Relationship Property
- Simon Jefferson & Paul Moriarty, Valuation of Relationship Property: An Evaluation of Practice and Procedure & Annex
- Lynda Kearns, Laying Your Cards on the Table; Disclosure Roulette & Schedule A & Schedule B
- Jan McCartney, Tactics Used in Litigation to Undermine or Frustrate the Property (Relationships) Act 1976 - and Proposed Changes to Improve Achievement of Resolution
- Joanna Miles, Should the Regime be Discretionary or Rules-Based?
- Jessica Palmer, What to do about trusts?
- Patrick Parkinson, Reconsidering Family Property Law in the Post-Marital Age
- Nicola Peart, Property Rights on Death of a Spouse or Partner
- Nicola Peart & Mark Henaghan, Children Interests on Division of Property on Relationship Breakdown
- John Priestley, Reflections on the Property Relationships Act 1976 by a Retired Judge
- Jens M. Scherpe, Contracting out of the default relationship property regime – comparative observations
- Margaret Wilson, The New Zealand context – setting the legal and social scene