Our interdisciplinary teams include researchers from a wide range of backgrounds and we collaborate both nationally and internationally.
- Dr Bridgette Toy-Cronin (Director)
Professional Practice Fellows
- Mihiata Pirini (LLM candidate)
Securing access to justice in the Māori Land Court – can “design thinking” help us better understand users’ experience?
Mihiata is the recipient of the University of Otago Legal Issues Centre and Ngā Pae o te Maramatanga LLM scholarship and is jointly supervised by Dr Bridgette Toy-Cronin and Professor Jacinta Ruru.
- Margaret Courtney (LLM candidate)
The Role of the Māori Land Court in Modern Aotearoa.
Margaret is jointly supervised by Dr Bridgette Toy-Cronin and Professor Jacinta Ruru.
The Centre is interested in hosting postgraduate students. If your proposed research aligns with the goals of the Centre, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to see if there are any supervision vacancies.
We host a visiting fellow each year who is researching in an area related to the Centre’s work. Expressions of interest can be made to the Centre’s Director.
Past fellows include:
- Dr Joe McIntyre, University of South Australia (September 2019)
- Dr Ben Schrader, Independent researcher (September 2018)
- Professor Tom Tyler, Yale Law School (December 2017, William Evans Visiting Fellowship)
- Professor Brian Tamanaha, Washington University Law (December 2017, NZLF Visitor, co-hosted with Nga Pae o te Maramatanga)
- Dr Richard Cornes, Faculty of Law, University of Essex (2014-2016)
- Professor Brad Wendel, Cornell University Law School (February - June 2012)
- Professor Reid Mortensen, University of Southern Queensland (August 2011)
- Professor W. Brent Cotter, University of Saskatchewan (January-April 2011)
- Professor Dame Hazel Genn, University College of London (September 2009)
- The Honourable Geoffrey Davies AO, TC Beirne (September 2009)
Board of advisors
- Professor Jessica Palmer, Dean of Law, University of Otago
- Hon Dame Justice Ellen France, Justice of the Supreme Court
- Deborah Manning, KiwiHarvest
- Morgan Godfery, FIRST Union
- Graham Beever, PHARMAC