Looking to pursue your interest in Management to the highest level?
The University of Otago offers a PhD in Management. This is awarded on the basis of the submission of a research thesis. To provide support, and help you to connect with your peers, the University also provides a dedicated social and academic candidate networking programme for PhD students.
Find out more about studying for a PhD in Management:
A PhD thesis in Management should demonstrate:
- Evidence of your ability to carry out quality research
- That you have shown originality and independence
- That you have made a significant contribution to knowledge in the particular field
The study is one which a diligent and competent student might reasonably be expected to complete within three years full-time or six years part-time, and the resulting thesis should be worthy of publication.
Applications are invited from individuals interested in studying for a PhD in Management at the University of Otago. The University of Otago is committed to research excellence. This is reflected in quality of our academic programmes, and in the Scholarship Programme we offer.
Who are we?
In the Department of Management we are an enthusiastic team of researchers who engage with a broad range of social, economic and political issues that influence organisations and management. We are committed to driving our research agendas forward, motivating ourselves and others and interacting with our research students.
As a Department, we strive to empower our students' ongoing personal and academic growth through departmental activities such as:
- Encouraging participation in our research seminar series
- Tutoring our undergraduates
- Developing network opportunities in New Zealand and internationally
About our work
PhD supervisors are keen to engage with potential and energetic students who are interested in the following areas:
- Leadership and Strategy
- Sustainable Business Management
- Human Resource Management and Employment Relations
- Performance Measurement in the Health Sector
- Indigenous and/or Māori Development
- Social Aspects of Technology within Organizations
- International Management
Who are you?
You are passionate about the study of Management, and committed to undertaking high-quality research. You want to be an integral part of our Department’s research community.
Ideally, you should hold a Master's Degree by Research or be able to demonstrate research capability through recognised research output.
The standard requirement for undertaking a PhD in the Department of Management is a high quality Research Master's Degree with a significant research component (i.e. at least two semesters full-time study) resulting in a thesis or equivalent.
In making a decision about whether to accept you as a postgraduate student, the Department will not only take into account your academic record and potential for research, but whether your topic is one for which we can find appropriate supervisors.
The University of Otago accepts applications and entry throughout the year. Applicants can apply for a University of Otago Doctoral scholarship
Initial enquiries should be directed to AskOtago.
Applications to the PhD in Management are to be submitted online through our Student Management System, eVision.
As part of the application process you will be required to provide:
- A short research proposal of 1,000 words following the Department of Management format. The proposal should indicate your initial ideas for PhD study, explaining the topic of the PhD in the context of relevant literature, outlining possible research questions and clearly demonstrating the aims of the PhD and how these will add to academic knowledge/fill a gap in academic understanding;
View the Department of Management format for research proposals (PDF)
- A current curriculum vitae;
- An electronic copy of your Master's thesis and any other research projects (i.e. published papers);
- Official copies of your full academic transcripts for previous studies including the grading scale. If the original is not in English you will need to provide certified/notarised translations;
- Your Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE ) report, if one is required with your application (international students only);
- Evidence you meet the English language requirement;
- A Department of Management Application for Supervision form. (PDF)
Note: Students applying to the PhD programme are normally requested to make contact with the teaching department to find a potential supervisor before submitting an application. Students applying for a PhD in Management are not required to make contact with the Department of Management prior to applying, as the assessment for supervision is included in the application process.
For enquiries regarding the application process, please contact AskOtago.
If you are ready to submit your application: