- BCom with a Major in Management
- BCom with a Major in Human Resource Management
- Minor in Management
- Minor in Entrepreneurship
- Minor in Human Resource Management
- Minor in Responsible Leadership
- DipGrad in Management
- DipGrad in Human Resource Management
- Courses in International Business
- Management Papers
Advance your career with a Bachelor of Commerce (BCom) in Management
A Management major is an essential component for all those who wish to participate and succeed in the business or organisational world because the management role is critical to both economic performance and human satisfaction in the workplace.
The BCom with a major in Management is a three year undergraduate degree. There is no formal background required. Communication skills are important in Management, so strong English skills are useful.
During your BCom, you will study a variety of Management topics and gain insight into a wide range of Management and business disciplines.
As part of your Management major you will study BSNS105 (Management and Organisations). This is a foundation for all the areas of Management:
- Strategy and Innovation
- International Management
- Human Resource Management
- Business Communications
- Employment Relations
- Operations Management
- Organisational Theory
To complete a BCom you need to pass papers totalling a minimum of 360 points, including all the core business papers as outlined below. At least 180 of those points must be above 100-level with a minimum of 72 points at 300-level. A maximum of 90 non-Commerce points can be credited towards your BCom.
A major in Management must include:
- BSNS111: Business and Society
- MANT101: Managing for Performance
- MANT 250: Managing People
- MANT 251: Managing Organisations
- Either MANT 217: International Management
- Or MANT 222: Interpersonal and International Communication
- Or MANT 252: Developing Responsible Leadership
- Four 300-level MANT papers
In addition to completing the requirements of your Management major, all students starting a BCom or BCom(Hons) must also complete the following core commerce papers.
- BSNS 111 Business and Society (18 points)
- BSNS 112 Interpreting Business Data (18 points)
- BSNS 113 Economic Principles and Policy (18 points)
- BSNS 114 Financial Decision Making (18 points)
- BSNS 115 Accounting and Information Systems (18 points)
* At least three of these papers must be passed before enrolling in any 200-level Commerce paper, and all must be passed before enrolling in any 300-level Commerce paper. For single-degree BCom students, all five must be attempted in the first year of study or equivalent.
For students enrolled in a BCom programme before 2017
In 2017 the required 100-level papers for all BCom programmes changed from BSNS 102-108 to BSNS 111-115. BCom students who first enrolled in 2016 or earlier will normally complete the programme under the regulations in force when they first enrolled.
If you need to complete any of BSNS 102-108 the equivalent papers from 2017 onwards are:
|Papers required before 2017||Equivalent from 2017 onwards|
|BSNS 102||BSNS 112|
|BSNS 103||MART 112|
|BSNS 104||BSNS 113|
|BSNS 105||BSNS 111 or MANT 101|
|BSNS 106||COMP 111 (recommended) or COMP 101|
|BSNS 107||BSNS 115|
|BSNS 108||BSNS 114|
If none of the above options are available to you, you will need to seek advice from the Associate Dean (Academic) for the School of Business in order to decide on an appropriate paper or papers to use instead.
Additional information regarding Transitional Arrangements for new Otago BCom core papers can be found on the Otago Business School website.
Trying to decide between a major in Management and another subject area, but not sure which to choose? You don’t have to!
Study for a double major in Management. Combine your interests and improve your career prospects.
Popular double major options include:
- BCom (Management) and BPhEd
- BCom (Management) and BAppSc
- BCom (Management) and BA
- BCom (Management) and BSc