For general advice on research requiring University of Otago vessels, email Vessel Manager Committee Chair Professor Steve Wing.
Key steps for University of Otago staff to book a vessel
1. Check Vessel information (PDF) for the description of the vessels, pricing, and contact details.
2. Check the availability of the vessel you require. To access the Marine Science vessels shared calendars in Outlook/Webmail:
- Right-click on the Shared Calendars header under My Calendars
- Go to the Add Calendar option and select how you want to open the calendar
- Open Shared Calendar – click on Name to find an email address in the address book, or type an email address directly into the box:
RV Beryl Brewin: firstname.lastname@example.org
RV Naiad: email@example.com
RV Polaris II: firstname.lastname@example.org
RV Tuhura: email@example.com
3. Complete the Vessel Booking Form & Cruise Plan (PDF) and submit it. We recommend using an up-to-date version of Adobe Reader for this editable PDF form. Please note the Adobe Preview function in your browser may not have editing facilities.
4. The Cruise Plan form will be submitted to the vessel management committee for consideration. Ideally this will occur two months prior to your proposed cruise. You should expect feedback and/or approval within two weeks. We need at least a two-week notice of your request to allow time for processing.
5. If all is in order, your vessel booking and cruise plan will receive final approval within a week.
6. Within two weeks of the completion of the voyage, please fill out the Post-Cruise Report section in your original Cruise Plan form and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the wharf-cam at Portobello check out the harbour and island views. See what boats are in and what's going on at the end of the wharf.
Photos of the vessels for hire
RV Polaris II.
RV Beryl Brewin.