For information on safety requirements when diving as part of University of Otago teaching or research and to submit a dive plan for approval, please refer to the Diving@Otago webpage.
University of Otago Dive Officer
- The Field plan form must be used for any field work that does not involve diving and vessels. Complete the field plan form and submit to Sean Heseltine (Marine Science Field Technician and Vessel Skipper) and Doug Mackie (Portobello Marine Lab Manager). The SUBMIT button on the smart form will email this form automatically via your mail
- Allow up to 5 days for approval
- Follow instructions around safe field practices and reporting of activities
- Field plan form to complete (PDF)
Oceanographic and Field Equipment
Marine Science department carries a range of oceanographic and field equipment for use. Please click on the link to check for availability and to make a booking.
For general advice on research requiring University of Otago vessels, email Vessel Manager Committee Chair Professor Steve Wing.
Key steps for University of Otago staff to book a vessel
- Check Vessel information (PDF) for the description of the vessels, pricing, and contact details.
Check the availability of the vessel you require. To access the Marine Science vessels shared calendars in Outlook/Webmail:
- Right-click on the Shared Calendars header under My Calendars
- Go to the Add Calendar option and select how you want to open the calendar
- Open Shared Calendar – click on Name to find an email address in the address book, or type an email address directly into the box:
RV Naiad: firstname.lastname@example.org
RV Polaris II: email@example.com
RV Tuhura: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete the Vessel Booking Form and Cruise Plan (PDF) and submit it. We recommend using an up-to-date version of Adobe Reader for this editable PDF form. Please note the Adobe Preview function in your browser may not have editing facilities.
- The Cruise Plan form will be submitted to the vessel management committee for consideration. Ideally this will occur two months prior to your proposed cruise. You should expect feedback and/or approval within two weeks. We need at least a two-week notice of your request to allow time for processing.
- If all is in order, your vessel booking and cruise plan will receive final approval within a week.
- Within two weeks of the completion of the voyage, please fill out the Post-Cruise Report section in your original Cruise Plan form and submit it to email@example.com.
From the wharf-cam at Portobello check out the harbour and island views. See what boats are in and what's going on at the end of the wharf.
Photos of the vessels for hire
RV Polaris II.