For information on safety requirements when diving as part of University of Otago teaching or research and to submit a dive plan for approval, please refer to the webpage:
University of Otago Dive Officer
The online Field Plan form must be used for any field work that does not involve diving and vessels. Please fill out the form if you are wanting to carry out fieldwork and allow up to 5 working days for approval.
If you have questions about upcoming fieldwork, please contact:
Will Pinfold (Field Technician)
Oceanographic and Field Equipment
The Department of Marine Science carries a range of oceanographic and field equipment for use. Please view the calendar linked below to determine availability.
If you wish to book equipment and set up an account, please contact:
For general advice on research requiring University of Otago vessels, email:
Professor Steve Wing
Vessel Manager Committee Chair
Key steps for University of Otago staff to book a vessel
1. Check Vessel information and Equipment Rates (PDF) for the description of the vessels and additional information. Please refer to Small Vessels Rates and Large Vessel Rates for pricing. Please use the Boat Cost Calculator for your convenience.
- Small Vessels Rates (PDF)
- Large Vessel Rates (PDF)
- Boat Cost Calculator (xls)
2. Check the availability of the vessel you require. To access the Marine Science vessels shared calendars in Outlook/Webmail:
- Right-click on the Shared Calendars header under My Calendars
- Go to the Add Calendar option and select how you want to open the calendar
- Open Shared Calendar – click on Name to find an email address in the address book, or type an email address directly into the box:
- RV Naiad: email@example.com
- RV Polaris II: firstname.lastname@example.org
- RV Tuhura: email@example.com
- Moki: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Complete the Vessel Booking Form and Cruise Plan (PDF) and submit it. We recommend using an up-to-date version of Adobe Reader for this editable PDF form. Please note the Adobe Preview function in your browser may not have editing facilities.
4. The Cruise Plan form will be submitted to the vessel management committee for consideration. Ideally this will occur two months prior to your proposed cruise. You should expect feedback and/or approval within two weeks. We need at least a two-week notice of your request to allow time for processing.
5. If all is in order, your vessel booking and cruise plan will receive final approval within a week.
6. Within two weeks of the completion of the voyage, please fill out the Post-Cruise Report section in your original Cruise Plan form and submit it to email@example.com.
From the wharf-cam at Portobello check out the harbour and island views. See what boats are in and what's going on at the end of the wharf.
Find out what is happening on the wharf today via the webcam
Photos of the vessels for hire
RV Polaris II.