An introduction to marketing fundamental principles, the key impact of marketing in differing economic environments, and marketing communications in different business strategies.
The paper covers fundamental principles of marketing: understanding consumer learning and decision-making processes and how these may be influenced by marketing activities.
|Teaching period(s)||1st Non standard period (17 January 2022 - 4 March 2022)
6th Non standard period (19 September 2022 - 4 November 2022) (Distance learning)
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$2,292.75|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- CMBA 502
- Limited to
- PGDipBusAdmin, MBA, PGDipHealMgt, MHealSc, PGCertEM, PGDipEM, PGDipFBLM, MFBLM
- Enrolments for this paper require departmental permission. View more information about departmental permission.
- More information link
For information on the parallel paper available for the Chinese Language version of the MBA, please see CMBA502
- Teaching staff
Textbooks are not required for this paper
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, interdisciplinary perspective, lifelong learning, communication,
critical thinking, information literacy, self-motivation, teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- This paper acts as a basic introduction to marketing. After covering the purpose of
marketing and how marketing fits into the business organisation and into society,
the paper goes into consumer learning and decision-making processes and how these
may be influenced by marketing activities.
Students who successfully complete the paper will be able:
- To understand the concepts of marketing as it applies to business
- To consider the key impacts of marketing in differing economic environments
- To explore the need for market research
- To understand customer behaviour and apply that knowledge to business strategy
- To consider business buying behaviours and their impacts
- To explore segmentation, targeting and positioning and how they impact business
- To understand marketing communications in a number of different forms
- To align new products and pricing strategies within a number of differing businesses