The Centre for Postgraduate Nursing Studies at the University of Otago, Christchurch, offers a range of clinically-focused programmes leading to masters' and PhD qualifications. The Centre focuses exclusively on postgraduate nursing education and research—for both Registed Nurses and graduates of other discplines who seek a career in Nursing.
The Centre offers postgraduate nursing studies on a local as well as distance basis, with papers taught in blocks, making them available to Registered Nurses outside of Christchurch.
Papers are taught by expert highly-qualified nurses, whose teaching is informed by professional practice and research.
Papers are comprised of both theoretical and practice components congruent with the Advanced Nursing Competencies set out by the Nursing Council of New Zealand (NCNZ), which lay out the pathway to Nurse Practitioner status.
Approved as an educational provider by the NCNZ, studies undertaken at the Centre are also aligned with National Health Policy directives and the NCNZ framework for postgraduate nursing education (2002).
Our postgraduate nursing students benefit from the tradition of excellence in research and education at the University of Otago, with solid quality improvement programmes that continually build and improve services at the Centre.
Master of Health Sciences (MHealSc)
- MHealSc endorsed in Nursing (NURS)
- MHealSc endorsed in Nursing (Clinical) (NUCL)
- MHealSc endorsed in Nursing (Clinical) – Addiction Pathway (NUCL)
Master of Nursing Science (MNSc)
The MNSc is a two-year full-time programme, which offers a pathway to a nursing career. Graduates from any discipline will be considered. On successful completion of the MNSc, students will be eligible to apply for registration with the Nursing Council of New Zealand.
Postgraduate Diploma in Health Sciences (PGDipHealSc)
- PGDipHealSc endorsed in Nursing (NURS)
- PGDipHealSc endorsed in Nursing (Primary Health Care) (NPHC)
- PGDipHealSc endorsed in Rural Nursing (NURU)
Postgraduate Certificate in Health Sciences (PGCertHealSc)
- PGCertHealSc endorsed in Advanced Clinical Nursing (NUAC)
- PGCertHealSc endorsed in Nursing (Advanced Mental Health) (NAMH)
- PGCertHealSc endorsed in Nursing (Gerontology) (NUGE)
- PGCertHealSc endorsed in Nursing (High Acuity) (NUHA)
- PGCertHealSc endorsed in Nursing (Leadership and Management) (NULM)
- PGCertHealSc endorsed in Nursing (Long-term Condition Management) (NULT)
- PGCertHealSc endorsed in Nursing (Primary Health Care) (NPHC)
- PGCertHealSc endorsed in Nursing (Specialty Mental Health) (NSMH)
Please contact the Centre for Postgraduate Nursing Studies' postgraduate administrator: