Medical laboratories can be based in hospitals where they provide urgent and routine laboratory results to A&E, intensive care, surgery, clinics, and ward staff. Med lab scientists can also be found in the community—where they provide diagnostic support to general practitioners—or undertaking challanging employment in other areas.
From industrial research and public health laboratories to forensic and pharmaceutical laboratories, University of Otago Medical Laboratory Science graduates' analytical, scientific, and technical skills are a valuable asset.
Other career options include:
- Commercial sector laboratories
- Forensic biological sciences
- Laboratory information systems
- Public health/infection control
- Research and product development
- Sales and marketing
- Technical support
- Quality assurance/total quality improvement
The Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science degree is also a gateway to a variety of postgraduate study options and entry into other health professional courses, such as medicine.