Thursday 29 September 2022 2:26pm
A talented gymnast has won top honours at the annual Blues and Golds Awards.
The awards, co‑ordinated by the Otago University Students’ Association in collaboration with the University of Otago, recognise and celebrate the highest degree of sporting, cultural, community and arts achievements among University students.
Brooke Davies is Sportsperson of the Year for her high performance in and service to aerobic gymnastics at a national and international level.
Ms Davies, a Bachelor of Science student, has competed in the Gymnastics New Zealand aerobics international stream since 2013 and attended the 2022 Aerobic Gymnastics World Championships.
She started aerobic gymnastics at age five and enjoys the ongoing growth it brings.
“It is fitness, strength and flexibility combined. It’s also a good social activity. The challenge of the sport keeps me going – there’s always something to learn and something to do,” she says.
Kobe Miller (Rowing), Olivia Thornbury (Triathlon), and Janus Staufenberg (Triathlon) received highly commended awards in that category.
Hugo Swinson was named Māori Sportsperson of the Year for his involvement in Ultimate, a Frisbee sport.
Mr Swinson’s club team recently won gold and silver at a national event, and he was selected to represent New Zealand.
OUSA president Melissa Lama says it is important to uplift and acknowledge the University’s students in the community who are thriving in various spaces.
“We want to celebrate their achievements and give our support for their hard work to achieve at a high level,” Ms Lama says.
Many other students were celebrated at tonight’s event.
Blues awards, for sporting success, have been around since 1908 while Golds, which acknowledge arts and cultural achievements, were added in 2002.
List of winners
Sportsperson of the Year
Winner: Brooke Davies – Aerobic Gymnastics
Highly commended: Kobe Miller – Rowing, Olivia Thornbury – Triathlon, Janus Staufenberg – Triathlon
Māori Sportsperson of the Year
Winner: Hugo Swinson – Ultimate Frisbee
OUSA Coach of the Year
Winner: Olivia Lemon – University Albion Netball Club
Highly commended: Josh Mackay – Otago University Debating Society
Special mention: Gabriel Martin – Otago University Badminton Club
OUSA Sports Club of the Year
Winner: Otago University Disc Golf Club
OUSA Society of the Year
Highly commended: Animal Aquatic Plant Ecological Society (AAPES), Otago Mathematics and Physics Students Association
OUSA Cultural Society of the Year
Winner: Otago Vietnamese Student Association
Highly commended: Otago Japanese Students' Association
Special mention: Otago Singapore Club
Outstanding Member of the Dunedin Community
Winner: Ranisha Chand
Outstanding Member of the University of Otago Community
Winner: Kathleen (Katie) Hensman
Highly commended: Megan O'Malley
OUSA Silver Service
- Graydon Scott – Otago University Ultimate Club
- Kathleen (Katie) Hensman – Otago University Snow Sports Club
- Ashley Jenkins – Otago University Rugby League Club
- Fraser Towers – Otago University Association Football Club
- Josh Mackay – Otago University Debating Society
- Olivia Lemon – University Albion Netball Club
- Kyle Matthews – Ice Hockey
- Gabriel Martin – Otago University Badminton Club
- Tabitha Littlejohn – Theatre
- Jordan Wichman – Theatre
- Jaiden Tucker – Otago University Debating Society
- Lea Muetzel – Martial Arts
- Will White – Beach Volleyball
- Eric Stratton – Beach Volleyball
- Eligh Ashby – Open Water Swimming
- Daryl Areai – Football
- Alisa Tautagaloa – Football
- Connor Bacchus – Rowing
- Olivia Thornbury – Triathlon
- Corey Symon – Fencing
- Sophia Tweddle – Fencing
- Russell Green – Athletics
- Angus Hamilton – Beach Handball
- Kristina Hames – Beach Handball
- Mhairi-Bronté Duncan – Curling
- Ella Price – Rowing
- Claudia Kinder – Rowing
- Hugo Swinson – Ultimate
- Oliver Donaldson – Beach Handball
- Annalise Wilson – Beach Handball
- Cameron Monteath – Music
- Lillian Gibbs – Vocalist
- Sarah Hubbard – Vocalist
For more information, contact:
Marketing and Communications Manager
Otago University Students’ Association