Thursday, 7 December 2017 2:14pm
A collection of posters and ephemera donated from the public.
From Cadbury packaging and Dunedin music posters, to family histories and historic maps, the Hocken Collections continues to benefit from public generosity with a fantastic amount of donations received over the past year.
The public donates hundreds of items to the Hocken every year which enables it to remain relevant to the community, as well as ensure the material is safeguarded and available for present and future generations.
Hocken Music and AV Curator Amanda Mills says some of the "stand out’’ donations were live cassette recordings of 'Dunedin Sound’ bands.
These recordings, donated by Andy Ellis, feature bands from the 1980s and 1990s, while Dr Graeme Downes made a "substantial deposit" of live recordings of The Verlaines from 1981 to 1992.
Complementing this was a donation of 1980s and 1990s Dunedin music posters.
Ephemera Curator Katherine Milburn describes Ross Notman’s donation as "very exciting" as it augments the Hocken’s existing collection of Dunedin Sound material.
Other interesting items received include World War 1 diaries and letters; Home Circle, a lifestyle magazine that began publication in Oamaru in 1898; 1990s Cadbury chocolate wrappers; a 1913 poster featuring Captain Robert Falcon’s Scott’s last message; and about 70 maps largely of New Zealand and the Pacific from the late 1600s to early 1900s.
Donors will be thanked at an event on Saturday, 9 December. While there, they will also have the opportunity to view the ‘CONTINUITY & CHANGE: The Hocken’s art across time’ exhibition, currently open to the public until 27 January 2018.
Archives and Manuscripts:
- Peter and Elizabeth Moroney - manuscript of Christine Clement Brown, describing her experiences as a nurse at the New Zealand General Hospital, Brockenhurst
- Stuart Gray - records relating to Methvens Limited
- Elizabeth Collins - family papers relating to Sir Garfield and Lady Grace Todd. Sir Garfield was Prime Minister of Southern Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) from 1953 to 1958 and later became an opponent of white minority rule
- Rosemary Hudson - travel diaries of Harry Hamish Pattle
- Diana Newbery - papers of Beverley Shore Bennett, stained glass artist
- Ed Dwyer - prints and panoramas of Dunedin and Central Otago
- Ian Marechal - Opoho Festival floats. Seventeen photographs of floats created at the Dunedin suburb of Opoho for the Dunedin Festival
- Kay Clausen and her brothers - Davey Gunn album. An album of photographs relating to Davey Gunn who worked as a run holder and track controller in the Hollyford, Martins Bay and Big Bay area during the 1950s
- Sizemore family - two postcard albums of cards relating to the South Island and overseas. Originally collected by Madge Smith of Gore, c.1910-1920
- Brett McDowell - Lesson in morbid anatomy. A cabinet card showing a class of six male students and a staff member gathered around a cadaver, c.1897
- Brett McDowell - Martin Thompson
- Linda Tyler - Anne Hamblett, Pangatotara Tobacco Field, 1943, pencil on paper
- Roger Collins - Lloyd Godman, Nude 230-5 (1986), Selenium toned Silver Gelatin Print, printed in 1988
- Zuna Wright - Zuna Wright Untitled [red sky] 2015 gouache on paper; Untitled [landscape] n.d. gouache on paper; Untitled [landscape] 2013 gouache on paper; Untitled [still life] c.2016 gouache on paper; Market Gardens on a Volcanic Landscape c2007 gouache on paper
- Neil Frazer - Neil Frazer, Evolution (2002) oil & alkyd on canvas
- Paul Dirks - Whanau of the late Thomas Joseph Tipa, Mosgiel. Moeraki Native Village reserve 1907
- Emeritus Professor A. Keith Jeffery - plan showing in what manner the land within a radius of seven miles of Auckland has been appropriated; Mare del Sud. Nuove scoperte fatte nel 1765, 67 e 69 nel. Venezia 1776 Preffo Antonio Zatta; Carte de la Nouvelle-Zelande visitee en 1769 et 1770 par le Lieutenant J. Cook Commandant de l'Endeavour vaiseau de sa Majeste. Carte von Neu-Seeland welches in den jahren 1769 und 1770 / untersucht worden vom Lieutenant J. Cook. Paris [1774?]; Chart of the Antarctic Polar circle with the countries adjoining according to the new hypothesis of M. Buache ; from the memoirs of the Royal Academy at Paris. 1763; Southern Hemisphere. London, Wyld, [1843?]; Dunedin, Chalmers, 1889 (Nlle. Zélande) lith. A. Simon. [Paris] Minist`ere des Travaux Publics, Ecole des Ponts et Chausées,
- Gay Buckingham on behalf of the Power Company Ltd - The grand electrification of the south: a history of the Power Company Limited and its predecessors, the Southland Electric Power Board and the Southland Electric Power Supply (1914-2015)
- Alice Hunt - Greetings from Samoa: early twentieth century postcards and a tribute to photographer, Alfred Tattersall: Hunt family collection
- Prof. James Beattie (Waikato) - Bringing China home: Chinese stories and objects in Hawke's Bay
- Peter Mackenzie - Imagery of the Larnach Family Mausoleum
- Tony Harris - Dominic's dynasty: the story of Dominic and Winifred Harris of Heyward Point, Otago and descendants
- Ken Thomlinson - Courageous and free
- Inger Gledhill on behalf of Heritage Roses Otago - Project rescue
- Roger Collins - La généreuse et tragique expédition Lapérouse
- Roger Collins - Terre Napoléon: Australia through French eyes, 1800-1804
- Roz Mickelson-McKechnie - From Sharragh to Sharrow, Tipperary to Otago: the history of the Wilkins family
- Paul Aubin - Home Circle
- Graeme Berry - Air New Zealand timetables, NAC timetables, a railways timetable and some recipe books
- Angela Mcerlane - Photographic view album; NZ South Seas exhibition.
- Nicola McCloy - SPEC Radio one magazine from 1991 and 1992
- Roger Pryde - Pine Hill News
- Wayne Sutherland - Antipodean Holmesian Society Newsletter
Music and AV:
- Tony Renouf - Otago pts. 1 and 2 LP
- Tony Moir - Hail Gracious Majesty, Heretaunga Maori Choir 10’’
- John Gertson - A century of Austin in Otago, CD-rom
- Scott Campbell – Brown, Brown, CD
- Alastair Galbraith – Plain Song, John Dickson, CD
- Paul Kerridge - Criterion quar., Annie Laurie, cylinder
- Andy Ellis – selection of tapes from deposit, various artists, cassette
- Graeme Downes – various tapes from deposit, The Verlaines, cassette
- RNZ Music Department – Never Say Die, Bunny Walters, 45rpm disc
- Jenny Dickson – Ultra Commercial, 12’’ disc
- Graham Siddle – When Music Sounds, Graham Parsons (score)
- Ross Notman – JPS Experience star and Strange Loves poster
- Polly Higham - Waikouaiti Rifles ephemera
- Ian Marechal - Cadbury’s packaging, sticker, display material
- Irene Fagan - Sheila Natusch funeral service card
- Joan Gooseman - Tragedy of the South Pole poster
- Health Sciences Library - Cervical smear poster
- Various - 2017 election ephemera
For more information, please contact:
Head Curator, Pictorial Collections
Hocken Collections, University of Otago Library
Tel: +64 3 479 5600
A list of Otago experts available for media comment is available elsewhere on this website.
Electronic addresses (including email accounts, instant messaging services, or telephone accounts) published on this page are for the sole purpose of contact with the individuals concerned, in their capacity as officers, employees or students of the University of Otago, or their respective organisation. Publication of any such electronic address is not to be taken as consent to receive unsolicited commercial electronic messages by the address holder.