|Eligible students||International undergraduate students at the University of Otago, living in New Zealand|
|Value||NZ$10,000 for tuition fees and accommodation guarantee (conditions apply)|
|For how long||12 months|
|For study beginning in|| |
Semester 1 (February) 2021 or semester 2 (July) 2021
|Application dates||Opening date: 1 May 2020 for semester 1 and 2 2021 |
Closing date: 10 December 2020 for semester 1, and 30 April 2021 for semester 2
The Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarships for International Students (New Zealand) recognise the additional challenges currently faced by international students in New Zealand, particularly in being unable to return to their families and home country due to border restrictions. These scholarships support international students to remain in the country and commence study on campus at Otago in 2021.
The Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship for International Students (New Zealand) includes:
- NZD$10,000 contribution towards the tuition fee on an eligible programme.
- Guaranteed place in University-owned accommodation (subject to a satisfactory reference and completing an accommodation application by the due date)
This scholarship will be awarded to to all international students who are currently in New Zealand and who are offered admission to Otago for 2021 to start full-time bachelor’s studies for the first time at a New Zealand university.
University-owned accommodation includes residential colleges and University Flats.
Students must meet the following requirements:
- International students who are not New Zealand citizens or permanent residents; and
- Who are currently living in New Zealand; and
- Have gained university admission through:
- Completion of Year 12 and completion of, or in the process of completion of Year 13 at a New Zealand school, or an equivalent foundation level course at a New Zealand tertiary institution
- Completion of an internationally recognised qualification in New Zealand or at an overseas high school, such as A Levels, International Baccalaureate, or ATAR; or
- Meeting other international entrance requirements as outlined on the Otago website; and
- Have not normally completed any previous study at a New Zealand university; and
- Are eligible apply for, and are intending to enrol for full-time study in the first year of an undergraduate degree.
To be eligible for the guaranteed place in university-owned accommodation, students must:
- Complete the accommodation application form by the due date
- Submission of a satisfactory Common Confidential Reference Form (CRCC) by the due date
Note that a programme application must have been started in eVision prior to completion of the accommodation application form.
Late applications will be accepted, but an offer of accommodation is no longer guaranteed.
Scholarship application process
There is no formal scholarship application process. Students will be notified of the scholarship in their Offer of Place which will be followed by a scholarship letter.
Any eligible student that has already received an Offer of Place will be contacted by Otago’s Student Experience team and issued a scholarship letter.
In addition, the following applies to the Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarships for International Students (New Zealand):
- This scholarship is redeemable only as a credit to tuition fees
- Students commencing in semester 2 are eligible for this scholarship
- This scholarship may not be held concurrently with another University of Otago Undergraduate Entrance Scholarship (UES). If a recipient is awarded another UES, the recipient will receive the scholarship of the highest value. If the Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship for International Students (New Zealand) is superseded by a higher value scholarship, the accommodation guarantee still applies, subject to meeting accommodation application requirements
- Deferral of the scholarship is not normally possible