Information on this page applies only to scholarships awarded for study in 2021. For information about the Vice-Chancellor's Scholarship for International Students for study in 2022, visit:
Vice-Chancellor's Scholarship for International Students
|Eligible students||International undergraduate students at the University of Otago, living outside of New Zealand|
|Value||NZD$10,000 for tuition fees|
|For how long||12 months|
|For study beginning in||
Semester 1 (February) 2021 or semester 2 (July) 2021
|Application dates||Opening date: 1 May 2020 for semester 1 and 2 2021
Closing date: 10 December 2020 for semester 1, and 30 April 2021 for semester 2
The Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarships for International Students (Online) recognise the additional challenges currently faced by international students, and support students to commence their studies with Otago online in 2021.
The Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship for International Students (Online) provides a NZ$10,000 contribution towards the tuition fee for an undergraduate programme offered online in 2021.
This scholarship will be awarded to all eligible students applying for an eligible programme.
Scholarship applicants must be:
- International students who are not New Zealand citizens or permanent residents; and
- Who are currently living outside of New Zealand; and
- Have gained university admission through:
- Completion of Year 12 and completion of, or in the process of completion of Year 13 at a New Zealand school, or an equivalent foundation level course at a New Zealand tertiary institution
- Completion of an internationally recognised qualification in New Zealand or at an overseas high school, such as A Levels, International Baccalaureate, or ATAR; or
- Meeting other international entrance requirements as outlined on the Otago website; and
- Have not normally completed any previous study at a New Zealand university; and
- Are eligible apply for, and are intending to enrol for full-time study in the first year of an undergraduate degree offered online in 2021.
The programme for which a student is applying must be offered online. In 2021, these are:
- Bachelor of Commerce (BCom) – limited majors
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) – limited majors
- Bachelor of Arts and Commerce (BACom) – limited majors
Scholarship application process
There is no formal scholarship application process. Students will be notified of the scholarship in their Offer of Place which will be followed by a scholarship letter.
Any eligible student that has already received an Offer of Place will be contacted by Otago’s Student Experience team and issued a scholarship letter.
In addition, the following applies to the Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarships for International Students (New Zealand):
- This scholarship is redeemable only as a credit to tuition fees
- Students commencing in semester 2 are eligible for this scholarship
- This scholarship may not be held concurrently with another University of Otago Undergraduate Entrance Scholarship (UES). If a recipient is awarded another UES, the recipient will receive the scholarship of the highest value
- Deferral of the scholarship is not normally possible