Student in the Genetics project heating a solution containing plasmid DNA and a restriction enzyme to cut the DNA (January 2021).
Applying for Science Academy
Applications for our 2022 student programme have now closed.
Our thanks go out to all of the students and teachers who submitted applications in 2021.
To apply for Science Academy you need to:
- Apply during Term 3 of Year 12 to be part of the programme during Year 13;
- Have a strong interest and passion for science, and the potential to excel at NCEA Level 3 / New Zealand Scholarship equivalent;
- Be willing to develop your science communication and teamwork skills;
- Be nominated by a teacher at your school;
- Be enrolled at a school that fulfils one or more of the following criteria:
- Small (<300 pupils)
- Rural or provincial
- Lower decile (1–6)
If that sounds like you, talk to your school's Head of Science, who will need to complete an online Nominating Teacher Application Form on your behalf.
You then need to complete an online Student Application Form telling us about yourself and why you want to join the Science Academy. We also ask you to submit a short essay telling us your thoughts about Science in the 21st Century.
Attention Māori and Pacific students
2022 Māori and Pacific Student Science Academy Scholarships
A limited number of scholarships will be available for our 2022 cohort of students.
These scholarships are aimed at supporting potentially high achieving Māori and Pacific students for whom the NZ$225 commitment fee is a barrier. All travel and accommodation costs of the programme are also covered. Please make sure you tell us your ethnic details when you apply for our programme online. You do not need to make a special application for the scholarship.