Applications for Science Academy 2019 now open.
You need to:
- Apply at the end of Year 12 for intake during Year 13
- Be enrolled at a school fitting one or more of the following criteria:
- Small (<150 pupils)
- Rural / provincial
- Lower decile (1–6)
- Have a strong interest and passion for science
- Have potential to excel at NCEA Level 3 / New Zealand Scholarship equivalent
- Demonstrate commitment to follow through and complete tasks
- Show willingness to develop your communication and teamwork skills
- Be nominated by your school
If that sounds like you then contact your school's Head of Science, who needs to complete a Student Nomination Form on your behalf and have it signed by your principal.
You will then need to complete a Student Application Form telling us about yourself and why you want to join the Academy.
We would also like you to write a short essay telling us your thoughts on Science in the 21st Century (full details are on the Student Application Form).
The Student Nomination Form, Student Application Form and Student Essay instructions can all be found on the Registration page.
We will pay your:
- Residential costs (including meals) while on campus
- Flights / travel to and from Dunedin
All we ask you to contribute is a NZ$225 commitment fee. Your school or local service club may be able to with this. (The University will give consideration to waiving part or all of the commitment fee in cases of extreme financial hardship.)
Application and Nomination forms for the following year are sent to participating schools and posted on the website.
Closing date for nomination and application forms.
An email will be sent to all Nominating Teachers advising whether or not their students have been accepted.
Successful students will then be sent a final registration pack. This will include details of the Science Camp project options, contact telephone numbers, travel arrangements and terms and conditions forms to be completed and returned.
If you meet the above criteria and have a disability, you are also encouraged to apply for Science Academy (OUASSA).
Additional support may be available to students who require it.
We arrange all your travel. Details will be sent out following your letter of acceptance.
All participants travelling by bus or plane are met when they arrive in Dunedin, and will be taken back to the bus station or airport to connect with their homeward transport.
Our contact page has all our contact details.