Pain at Otago Steering Group
Director, Pain at Otago
- Professor Ted Shipton (Department of Anaesthesiology, UOC)
Professor Ted Shipton is a leading researcher and clinician in Pain Medicine.
Professor Shipton holds the Chair of Anaesthesia and he is the Clinical Director of the Pain Management Centre of the Canterbury District Health Board. This is a busy interdisciplinary service that has on average over 4000 patient contacts a year.
He sits on the Board of the Australian and New Zealand Faculty of Pain Medicine of ANZCA, and is the Chair of their Education and Training Committee. Ted is also the Dean of the Australian and New Zealand Faculty of Pain Medicine of ANZCA.
Deputy Director, Pain at Otago
- Dr Ramakrishnan Mani (School of Physiotherapy)
Current pain research focusses on these key areas:
1. Pain mechanisms
Investigating clinical pain mechanisms (central sensitisation, neuroplasticity, and psychosocial factors) for developing targeted management of musculoskeletal pain. Other research includes investigating the measurement properties of pain assessment tools / questionnaires to develop a clinical battery for assessment of pain-related central sensitisation.
2. Pain education and curriculum
Knowledge translation of pain mechanisms research into clinical practice and capacity building of health care professionals on pain mechanisms based assessment and management.
Steering group members
- Professor Mauro Farella (Faculty of Dentistry)
- Professor David Baxter (School of Physiotherapy)
- Professor Dirk de Ridder (Dunedin School of Medicine, Department of Neurosurgery)
- Dr Rajesh Katare (Department of Physiology)
- Professor Madhav Bhatia (Department of Pathology, UOC)
- Dr Gareth Treharne (Department of Psychology)
- Dr Nicola Swain (Dunedin School of Medicine, Psychological Medicine)
- Dr Jonathan Williman (Population Health, UOC)
- Dr Louise Parr-Brownlie (Department of Anatomy)
- Associate Professor Ben Darlow (Primary Health and General Practice, UOW)
- Dr Bronnie Thompson (Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Musculoskeletal Medicine, UOC)