An introduction to the role of the director, with emphasis on script analysis and interpretation. Each student will direct a short piece of approximately ten minutes’ duration.
This popular paper, with a largely practical focus, will give you insight into the role of the theatre director. In addition to lively classroom exercises, each student will direct a short piece.
|Teaching period||Semester 1 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,110.75|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- One of THEA 212, THEA 213, THEA 251, THEA 252
- THEA 312 and THEA 311
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- Admission to THEA352 in any year is limited. Students intending to enrol for this paper must contact Theatre Studies to complete an application form by 23 November and arrange an interview. Early applications are encouraged, but late applications may be considered.
Students must apply for entry. Please see Theatre Studies website for application forms and more information.
Those who wish to be considered should complete and submit an application (available from the School office) by 23 November 2022.
Enrolments for this paper are limited, and it requires departmental permission. View more information about limitations of enrolment.
- More information link
- Teaching staff
Teaching Staff: Ryan Hartigan
- Teaching Arrangements
One 3-hour practical class and one 50-minute seminar per week.
THEA 352 course readings will be available on Blackboard, via eReserve.
- Course outline
Please contact the School of Performing Arts office (email@example.com) for a copy of the most recent paper profile.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Communication, Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- This paper provides a basic understanding of the role of the director, in both theory and practice. You will acquire or enhance skills in creative imagination and working with text, space and actors.