The history, principles and practices of design for theatre and performance, and the development of production design concepts.
This paper looks at lighting, sound and set design for theatre and performance, with an emphasis on the development of design concepts in contemporary theatre practice.
|Paper title||Design for Theatre and Performance|
|Teaching period||Not offered in 2021 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$913.95|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,073.40|
- 18 200-level DESI, PERF or THEA points
- THEA 256
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- Students who have not passed the normal prerequisite may be admitted with approval from the Programme Co-ordinator.
- Enrolments for this paper are limited, and it requires departmental permission. View more information about limitations of enrolment.
- More information link
- Teaching staff
- Paper Structure
- This paper is taught through a combination of lectures, demonstrations and practical work.
- Your lecturer will give you a list of required readings at the commencement of the paper.
- Course outline
Please contact the School of Performing Arts office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for a copy of the most recent paper profile.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Communication, Critical thinking, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation,
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students who successfully complete the paper will
- Gain an overview of the history of design in theatre and performance
- Identify some of the philosophies and theories that underpin and inform the field
- Identify some of the key figures and practitioners within the field
- Understand production design as a text in its own right
- Gain a deeper appreciation of theatrical and performative genres, practices and conventions
- Develop some fundamental tools of research, analysis and conceptual realisation in the field of theatre and performance design
- Gain a broad understanding of the technical language, practices and terminology specific to the field