The School of Pharmacy Clinics are a collaboration between the University of Otago and the Southern DHB. Our aim is to encourage adherence by resolving ineffective use of medicines by the patient, assist in the management of adverse effects and to identify any potential medicine therapy problems.
Registered Pharmacists see patients for one appointment of up to an hour and follow up by telephone or additional appointments as appropriate. Services are provided free. We will share a summary of our advice with the patients nominated GP and Pharmacist and this will also be available on HealthConnect South. This service does not include a comprehensive medicines review however any concerns about the medicine regimen will be included in the summary letter. Patients with very complex regimens may be referred to the WellSouth Clinical Pharmacist team.
Who is this service for?
Patients who may benefit from this service include those:
- Taking a large number of medicines
- Needing extra support to manage their medicine schedule
- Using inhalers/insulin pens or other devices who would benefit from technique training
- With medicine education/health literacy needs
Making a referral
- Patient name and contact information
- Referrer name and contact information
- Reason for referral
The Clinic is based in central Dunedin. If your patient resides outside of Dunedin and you feel they would benefit from this service you can refer them for a telephone interview.