Accessibility Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu

Visiting Student Researchers


Visiting researchers are students either enrolled at overseas universities or who are German pharmacy graduates completing their internship, who wish to carry out research at the School of Pharmacy.

Research projects

The School can provide supervision by academic staff and PhD students in a range of projects in the areas of:

To assist with this process, the School would ask that you check out the academic staff profiles to find a suitable supervisor.


Opportunities exist for placements of between three to six months' duration. Places are limited and will be allocated on a competitive basis. Preferable dates are January to June, or July to December, however placements outside these times may be negotiated on application.


For general enquiries regarding placements, please contact the Research Administrator 

We also have a current PhD candiate Sarah Streck who is familiar with this process, having previously had a placement here. If you have any questions if you are unsure of whether this is right for you, you are welcome to contact her in the first instance by email Sarah Streck

Accommodation and pastoral care

The University has an excellent Accommodation Centre which is able to assist students with placement, in University flats near campus. The Otago University Students' Association (OUSA) has excellent facilities for social and sporting interaction with students on campus.

How to apply

Check the academic profiles and find staff who are undertaking research in an area of your research interests.

Email the staff member concerned, stating you wish to undertake a visiting researcher student placement, send your current CV, and give them a brief background of your interests and why you wish to work with them.  It is important to let them know the dates that our placement would cover.

Once the staff member as agreed to take you, they will make contact with the School's administrator to make the necessary arrangements, including the paperwork involved to offer you a place.

If you have any general enquiries contact the administrator, mentioned above.