Current projects include:
- Do footwear variations influence the magnitude and direction of forces across the knee in people who have sustained a knee injury?
- ACL reconstruction
- Posture and low back pain, including work with amputee populations, health care workers.
- Shoulder biomechanics
- Postural stability
- Low-level laser therapy for breast cancer-related lymphdema
- Virtual reality
- Lumbo-pelvic postural monitoring
- Postural feedback and rehabilitation
- Baxter, G. D., Liu, L., Petrich, S., Gisselman, A. S., Chapple, C., Anders, J. J., & Tumilty, S. (2017). Low level laser therapy (Photobiomodulation therapy) for breast cancer-related lymphedema: A systematic review. BMC Cancer, 17, 833. doi: 10.1186/s12885-017-3852-x
- Ribeiro, D.C.; Sole, G.; Venkat, R.; Shemmell, J. (2017). Differences between clinician- and self-administered shoulder sustained mobilization on scapular and shoulder muscle activity during shoulder abduction: A repeated-measures study on asymptomatic individuals. Musculoskeletal Science and Practice, 30, 25-33.
- Sole, G., Pataky, T., Tengman, E., & Hager, C. (2017). Analysis of three-dimensional knee kinematics during stair descent two decades post-ACL rupture: Data revisited using statistical parametric mapping. Journal of Electromyography & Kinesiology, 32, 44-50. doi: 10.1016/j.jelekin.2016.12.005
- Adhia, D. B., Mani, R., Milosavljevic, S., Tumilty, S., & Bussey, M. D. (2016). Does repeated palpation-digitization of pelvic landmarks for measurement of innominate motion introduce a systematic variation? A psychometric investigation. Manual Therapy, 21, 282-286.
- Kaur, M., Ribeiro, D. C., Theis, J.-C., Webster, K. E., & Sole, G. (2016). Movement patterns of the knee during gait following ACL reconstruction: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Sports Medicine.
- Liu, L., Skinner, M. A., McDonough, S. M., & Baxter, G. D. (2016). Traditional Chinese Medicine acupuncture and myofascial trigger needling: The same stimulation points? Complementary Therapies in Medicine,26, 28-32.
- Ribeiro, D. C., Shemmell, J., Falling, C., & Sole, G. (2016). Shoulder muscle activity during the modified dynamic relocation test and side-lying shoulder external rotation: A cross-sectional study on asymptomatic individuals. Journal of Manual & Manipulative Therapy.
- Sole, G., Tengman, E., Grip, H., & Haager, C. K. (2016). Knee kinematics during stair descent 20 years following anterior cruciate ligament rupture with and without reconstruction. Clinical Biomechanics, 32, 180-186.
- Spall, P., Ribeiro, D. C., & Sole, G. (2016). Electromyographic activity of shoulder girdle muscles in patients with symptomatic and asymptomatic rotator cuff tears: A systematic review and meta-analysis. PM&R, 8, 894-906.
- Buhler, M., Johnson, G., and Meikle, G. (2015) Longitudinal IN VIVO ultrasound observations of the surgically repaired zone II flexor digitorum profundus tendon. Ultrasound in Med. and Biol 41 (11)
- Sole, G., Tengman, E., Grip, H., & Häger, C. K. (2015). Knee kinematics during stair descent 20 years following anterior cruciate ligament rupture with and without reconstruction. Clinical Biomechanics.
- Liu, L, Skinner, M., McDonough, S., Mabire, L. and Baxter, G.D. (2015) Acupuncture for Low Back Pain: An Overview of Systematic Reviews. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2015,
- Arumugam, A., Milosavljevic, S., Woodley, S., and Sole, G. (2014) Effects of external pelvic compression on isokinetic strength of the thigh muscles in sportsmen with and without hamstring injuries. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport.
- Hale, L. A., Satherley, J. M., McMillan, N. J., Milosavljevic, S., Hijmans, J. M., & King, M. J. (2012). Participant perceptions of the use of an adapted CyWee Z as an adjunct to rehabilitation of upper limb function following stroke. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 49(4), 623-634.
- Peplow, P. V., Chung, T.-Y., & Baxter, G. D. (2012). Laser photostimulation (660 nm) of wound healing in diabetic mice is not brought about by ameliorating diabetes. Lasers in Surgery & Medicine, 44(1), 26-29. doi: 10.1002/lsm.21133
- Ribeiro, D. C., Sole, G., Abbott, J.H., & Milosavljevic, S. (2013). Validity and reliability of the Spineangel® lumbopelvic postural monitor. Ergonomics, 56(6), 977-991.
- Tumilty, S., Munn, J., McDonough, S., Hurley, D. A., Basford, J. R., & Baxter, G. D. (2010). Low level laser treatment of tendinopathy: A systematic review with meta-analysis. Photomedicine & Laser Surgery, 28(1), 3-16. doi: 10.1089/pho.2008.2470
- Sole, G., Osborne, H., & Wassinger, C. (2014). Electromyographic response of shoulder muscles to acute experimental subacromial pain. Manual Therapy
|Year||Project title||Funding body|
|2017||The effectiveness of tailored rehabilitation versus standard exercise programme for patients with shoulder pain: a feasibility randomized controlled trial.||HRC Feasibility grant|
|2017||The effect of manual therapy on shoulder muscle activity||OMRF Summer Studentship|
|2017||Congress of the International Society of Biomechanics - Australia||MPPT travel|
|2017||Process evaluation of trials: maximising the potential for implementation||HRC Hercus Fellowship|
|2016||Exploring the effects shoulder mobilization on scapular and shoulder muscle activities||UORG|
|2016||The effectiveness of tailored rehabilitation versus standard exercise programme for patients with shoulder pain: a feasibility randomized controlled trial.||PNZ|
|2015||Pain and shoulder education||PNZ|
|2015||Pain and shoulder with rotator cuff||NZMPA|
|2015||The effectiveness of a feedback device in changing occupational postural behaviour: a randomized controlled trial||HRC Emerging award|
|2015||The effectiveness of a feedback device in changing occupational postural behaviour: a randomized controlled trial||Lottery Health Resarch Grant|
|2015||Inertial-sensor motion capture system||MPPT Equipment Grant|
|2014||Travel grant||International Society of Biomechanics|
|2014||Shoulder muscle activity of shoulder mobilization||Jack Thomson Arthritis Fund|
|2014||Can we optimize rotator cuff muscle activity? Exploring the effects of shoulder exercises on rotator cuff muscle control.||UORG 2015|
|2013||Can we optimize rotator cuff motor control? Exploring novel rehabilitation exercises for shoulder osteoarthritis treatment.||Jack Thompson Arthritis Fund|
|2013||Spinal muscle activity patterns during functional tasks in persons with lower limb amputation: An exploratory study||NZALS|
|2012||Testing of food product for motion sickness||MSI|
|2011||Age-related changes in the natural variance of the human footprint||UORG|
|2011||Effect of experimental pain on shoulder proprioception||NZ Manipulative Physiotherapists’ Association|
|2010||Equipment grant for Lottery Health equipment grant for the RSscan pressure measurement system.||Lotteries Health|
Risk factors for OA following ACL injuries
Acupuncture for musculoskeletal disorders
The influence of footwear on lower limb kinematics and kinetics during running: implications for the etiology of iliotibial band syndrome
William Evans Fellow 2014: Dr Todd Pataky visited the School in March 2014
Clinical Biomechanics group (2013). Workshop series: 'Introduction to data processing in clinical biomechanics research' (fortnightly).
Clinical Biomechanics group (2013). Seminar meetings (fortnightly).
- Dr Melanie Bussey (School of Physical Education – University of Otago)
- Professor Charlotte Håger (University of Umeå)
- Dr Holger Regenbrecht (Information Sciences, University of Otago)
- Professor Stephan Milosavljevic (University of Saskatchewan)
- Dr Anne Mündermann (University Hospital)
- Callaghan Innovation
- Movement Metrics Ltd