Accessibility Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu

Resources and support

Conference funding

Humanities Division

PhD students can request overseas conference funding for one conference from the Division of Humanities.

The current maximum amount that can be applied for is $2,500. We generally recommend that a research trip is carried out in conjunction with conference attendance, if possible.

The full policy and application form is available from the Humanities website

Conference/fieldwork funding – Department

PhD students may apply once to the Department for funding to present at an overseas conference or to undertake fieldwork which is essential to their research. The maximum amount that can be applied for is $2,000. This money may be used in conjunction with the Divisional funding.

MA (Thesis) and PhD students may also apply for funding to present papers at the annual NZPSA conference.

Conference funding application form (PDF)

Fieldwork funding application form (PDF)

For further information, please contact the Department Administrator. Email

^ Top of Page

Politics postgrad blog

Politics PG students now have their very own blog - check it out here.

Library and inter-library loans


The Department has a designated library contact: Subject Librarian (Humanities), Christopher Seay. Chris's office is at the Central Library, meetings are by appointment only. You can contact Chris on Phone: 479 8976 Email: Chris is available to provide tours of the library and assist with access to library resources and training.

Interlibrary loans

Interlibrary loans are covered by the Department, within reason. Please contact the Department Administrator if you require an interlibrary loan.  Email


The department regularly hosts distinguished visitors, both from within New Zealand and overseas, who present seminars in the Department. We strongly encourage our postgraduate students to attend.

List of upcoming seminars

Study space

Desk space in our postgraduate house, including internet access and a computer, will be provided if required. Access to the building is via your student ID card. For all space enquiries please email the Department Administrator. Email

^ Top of Page

Higher Education Development Centre

Peer writing and support programmes for postgraduate students: The HEDC website has support for postgraduate students. See link: Peer writing & Support

Research & Thesis Writing Development is a section of the HEDC website that also provides links for support for postgraduate students. See link: Research & Thesis Writing Development

Student Learning Development Workshops, Conference Support, SWoPS 2017, Resources link.

Student Learning Development Support:

  • Help with study-related issues
  • Help with time management and workload issues
  • Help with effective note-taking and note-making, exam revision, etc.
  • Can help you to clarify the focus and scope of an assignment topic and can assist with developing a plan to structure your ideas
  • Can support you to improve your writing -- sentence structure, paragraph formation, etc.
  • Can assist you to prepare a well-structured oral presentation or seminar. They can also run through it with you and provide constructive feedback
  • Can help you to identify online or other resources
  • Can assist with support for numeracy or statistics issues
  • Can direct you to other student support services as needed
  • Assist postgraduate students to develop their research and thesis-writing skills

Click here for steps to make an appointment.

Mental Health Support

The Healthy Campus web site has a range of tools and resources to help students and staff enhance their health and well-being.

Student Health has information about emotional and mental well-being.

Brian Johnston is a professionally qualified Personal Performance Coach. He works with students to achieve personal and professional goals. Click here.

Students who are experiencing a decline in their well-being are encouraged to make an appointment with someone from Student Health, if uncertain about seeing a counsellor please make an appointment with a GP first.

^ Top of Page