Advanced topics in accounting analytics with an emphasis on applying contemporary tools for accountants such as Power BI, Alteryx and Tableau to identify business problems, analyse, forecast and visualise data.
Data and analytics are transforming business and have major implications for the
role of accountants. Accountants are expected to go beyond their traditional role
to become business advisors in this fast-changing environment.
Enrol in ACCT 360 and grasp job-ready knowledge around Power BI, Alteryx, other software and contemporary analytics techniques currently used in the big four accounting firms, in order to be well-prepared for and best suited to the transition of the accountancy profession.
|Paper title||Advanced Accounting Analytics|
|Teaching period||Semester 2 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$912.00|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- ACCT 260 and a further 72 200-level points
- Schedule C
- Teaching staff
- Paper Structure
Core topics are
- Identify a business problem using financial and non-financial information
- Analytics for branches of accounting
- Visualisation, dashboard and storytelling
- Teaching Arrangements
This paper is taught through lectures and computer labs.
No textbook are required for this paper, the following are recommended:
- Richardson, V., Teeter, R. A., & Terrell, K. L. (2020). Introduction to Data Analytics for Accounting (1st edition). NY, US: McGraw-Hill. Available as e-text, from library or University Book Shop.
- Richardson, V., Teeter, R. A., & Terrell, K. L. (2022). ISE Data
Analytics for Accounting (3rd edition). 1265094454 9781265094454
Available as e-text, from library or University Book Shop.
The following are e-texts available through the library:
Self-service AI with Power BI Desktop : machine learning insights for business. Ehrenmueller-Jensen, Markus. Berkeley, CA : Apress L.P. 2020. Self-service AI with Power BI Desktop : machine learning insights for business
Learning Alteryx : A Beginner's Guide to Using Alteryx for Self-Service Analytics and Business Intelligence. Khobragade, Alok. Ravindra Narkhede, Mayur.Baruti, Renato. 1st ed. Birmingham : Packt Publishing, Limited 2017. Learning Alteryx : A Beginner's Guide to Using Alteryx for Self-Service Analytics and Business Intelligence.
Data Engineering with Alteryx : Helping Data Engineers Apply DataOps Practices with Alteryx. Houghton, Paul. Birmingham : Packt Publishing, Limited 2022. Data Engineering with Alteryx : Helping Data Engineers Apply DataOps Practices with Alteryx.
- Course outline
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
Critical thinking, Information literacy, Communication, Team work
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete the paper will be able to:
- Demonstrate enhanced capabilities to integrate and apply analytical techniques and accounting knowledge to identify business problems
- Critically evaluate the suitability of data and apply advanced techniques to prepare it for further analysis
- Use judgment to select and apply appropriate analytical tools such as Power BI, Alteryx and Tableau in contexts
- Demonstrate competence in identifying and applying analytics techniques to analyse, determine cause, make forecasts and recommend course of action
- Demonstrate enhanced capabilities to incorporate financial and non-financial information to draw conclusions and translate insights into concrete business actions
- Efficiently and effectively visualise and communicate results of data analyses to stakeholders