Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
Develops practical knowledge of different levels and styles of spoken and written German.
In GERM 331 you will further extend your knowledge of German by taking part in a range of discussions on current topics of German society. You will join the class' own social networking site to connect to your classmates and relevant online materials. Keeping a personal blog, you will be able to use your German continuously and apply it to your personal interests. Taking GERM 331 will equip you to become a truly independent language learner.
|Paper title||Intermediate German 2|
|Teaching period||Semester 1 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$929.55|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- GERM 114 or GERM 231
- GERM 201 or GERM 334 or any other more advanced German language paper
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- If you have previous knowledge of the language you can still enrol in this paper via Special Permission by proceeding with your application process to the Review and Submit page or email email@example.com for assistance.
- Suitable for students in German who have completed GERM 231 or who have an appropriate level of German.
- More information link
- View details of the online placement test.
- Teaching staff
Convenor: Dr Antonie Alm
- Paper Structure
- The paper covers modules on intercultural communication, everyday communication and topics of general interest. It further includes various grammar points (syntax, negation, passive, relative clauses, genitive prepositions and relative pronouns and prepositional phrases).
- Teaching Arrangements
- The class meets for three lectures per week and has a social networking component. Classes are conducted in German and are based on three text book units, complemented by online materials.
Friederike Jin & Ute Voß. Grammatik aktiv, Cornelson, 2019
- Course outline
- A course outline will be provided at the beginning of Semester.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication, Cultural understanding, Information
literacy, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of GERM 331, students will have advanced to level B2 of the European Framework of Reference for Languages and will be able to
- Understand extended speech and lectures on familiar topics
- Understand most film dialogue in standard German
- Take an active part in discussion in familiar contexts
- Present clear, detailed descriptions on a wide range of subjects related to their field of interest
- Write clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects related to their interests