Landfall contains literary fiction and essays, poetry, extracts from work in progress, commentary on New Zealand arts and culture, work by visual artists including photographers, and reviews of local books.
Who may submit work to Landfall?
Landfall is open to work by New Zealand and Pacific writers or by writers whose work has a connection to the region in subject matter or location. Work from Australian writers is occasionally included as a special feature.
The editor is only interested in new work that has not been published before. While many established names appear in Landfall's pages, the editor and Landfall's readers are always on the lookout for exciting work from new writers and artists. If you are a new writer, find copies of Landfall in bookshops and libraries to get a sense of what is published.
Limits to submissions
- Do not send work that has been published before.
- Poets – please submit no more than five poems per issue.
- Prose contributors – please submit no more than two pieces per issue (unless the pieces are very short). Write the word length of each piece below the heading on the first page. Preferred word length is up to 3000 words.
How to submit work
- Email submissions are preferred and should be sent as a Word document or .rtf file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please save your file with your name, e.g. john_smith_submission.doc
- Post hard-copy submissions to Landfall, Otago University Press, PO Box 56, Dunedin 9054. Your work will not be returned.
- Include your name on each page of your submission
- Provide us with your full contact details, including your email and postal addresses, and a brief biography of about 30 words
- All submissions will be acknowledged on receipt. If you do not receive an acknowledgement, email email@example.com or call us on 64 3 479 4155.
Deadlines for submissions
- Work for the May issue must be received by 10 January
- Work for the November issue must be received by 10 July
Submissions may be made at any time and will be considered for the next issue. We send acceptance/rejection letters once all submissions have been considered and the issue's contents list has been finalised (this is usually the month before or of publication). Submissions will not be held over for future issues unless you have agreed to this.
Otago University Press
PO Box 56
Tel: 64 3 479 4155