European green beech
The walk originally circumnavigated the Clocktower Building.
In 1924 the University Council agreed to the construction of a memorial walk – “a shaded ornamental walk right around the University buildings”– to honour members of the University who served in the 1914–18 war.
A grass walk was laid along Leith Street, from Union to St David Streets, and a single row of European beech trees was planted.
On Anzac Day 1928 the memorial walk was dedicated and a commemorative bronze tablet unveiled at the north-east corner of the Union Street Bridge.