Questionnaires are a way of gathering feedback from students or colleagues about many aspects of your teaching and papers, which can also feed into your Otago Teaching Profile. The Evaluation service offers advice, support and information on all aspects of the University of Otago’s evaluation process, including collating results and reporting.
Ready to get started?
You can order evaluation questionnaires online by logging into Otago inFORM with your University username and password. Once you are happy with the design of your questionnaire, proceed to checkout and submit it. You will be sent a confirmation email with the request details for your records.
If you are unable to access Otago inFORM, contact the Evaluation service (details are on the right of this page).
The evaluation process
If your request only includes questions from the in-house Otago inFORM catalogues you will receive an instant email reply which contains a link to a preview of the questionnaire that you have ordered. If, however, you have included custom questions, the Evaluation service will review them before you receive this automated email (this can take up to 5 business days during busy times). Please check the questionnaire link for accuracy and let us know if changes are needed prior to it being emailed to participants.
After the questionnaire has closed, the Evaluation service will release a data summary on Otago inFORM. We will also email you an official University report summarising the responses (this can take up to 2-3 weeks during busy times). Please advise us if you have a particular deadline for your results.
You can select up to 30 questions from Otago inFORM’s question category. Though each catalogue has a different focus, you can combine questions from different categories into the one questionnaire (see Forms and resources for question catalogue).
- Paper core query the overall value of the learning experience and teaching within a paper.
- Teacher core focus on the quality of different aspects of teaching. If you are on confirmation path or applying for promotion you will need to run the core teacher question set for all your main teaching responsibilities over a 3-year period.
- Coordinator/ Team leader query your colleagues on your role as their leader/ coordinator (these questions are not for students).
- Workshop focus on the effectiveness of single workshops (as opposed to entire papers).
- Additional cover many aspects of course improvement and teaching quality.
- Agreed templates (e.g., BCOM standard, Animal ethics) – these question sets have been agreed within different University faculties. If you find them useful, use them.
Other evaluation types
Different situations call for different techniques. For example, to evaluate small groups, you might want to combine data from multiple questionnaires or use peer review or interactive group sessions.
Avoid running multiple questionnaires at the same time with the same students. This can cause confusion for students who may think that they have been sent an invite email twice and ignore one. It can also cause confusion about the purpose of each evaluation.
If you would like assistance dealing with broader aspects of your teaching/course, please feel free to contact HEDC reception (479) 8492, or contact an academic staff member directly.