The Quality Advancement Unit has contestable funds available to support the development and implementation of improvement projects initiated by departments, programmes, service units, working groups or other University organisations.
2020 Applications have now closed.
Improvement Grants support quality improvement projects that propose solutions to challenges faced by the University either as a whole or in part and encourage the development and sharing of good practice. Projects may take a variety of forms including benchmarking, enhancement initiatives, interventions, pilots or other innovative endeavours.
The fund is not for supporting activities that should be part of the normal course of work of a department or service area.
Point of Focus in 2020
The Cycle 6 Academic Audit focuses on teaching, learning, support and outcomes for students. It places emphasis on evidence that demonstrates embeddedness of good practice and outcomes of those practices. Cycle 6 incorporates an Enhancement Theme topic: Access, outcomes and opportunities for Māori and Pasifika students.
Projects which support the Academic Audit focus will receive special consideration.
- Improvement Grant Flier
- Improvement Grant Information Sheet
- Improvement Grant Application Form
- Improvement Grant Final Report Information
- Improvement Grant Final Report Form
For further information, please contact:
2020 Improvement Grants Awarded:
- Campus and Collegiate Life Services – Pastoral Care Act Codification for University of Otago
- HEDC – Benchmarking Doctoral Supervision professional development in Otago University with Matariki partner Universities.
- Division of Sciences – Māori student learning support initiatives in the Division of Sciences
- Graduate Research School – Enhancing Academic Writing Support for Postgraduate Students
2019 Improvement Grants Awarded:
- Campus and Collegiate Life Services Division - Collegiate Way International Partners Stocktake and Benchmarking
- Te Whare Tawharau - Understanding students experiences and perceptions of sexual assault and harassment on campus
- Department of Psychology - An online social-belonging intervention to improve Maori student’s academic outcomes and well being
- Office of Student Success - Returning to a successful academic track
- Social Impact Studio - Matariki Network of Universities (MNU) Global Citizenship, Student Lead
- Education Unit, UOW - Exploring academic misconduct and integrity among medical students in New Zealand and Scotland: A mixed methods study
- Distance Learning/Quality Advancement Unit - Sharing good evaluation practice: Otago examples of how to increase response rates to student evaluations of teaching and courses
2018 Improvement Grants Awarded:
- First Year Experience - Improving student success: the early identification of students at risk of under-performance and the provision of targeted support in a first-year Degree programme (BSNS core)
- First Year Experience - Improving student success: the early identification of students at risk of under-performance and the provision of targeted support in a first-year Degree programme (HSFY)
- College of Education - Identifying academic, social, wellbeing and other challenges during the second year of study that may result in academic under-performance
- Sociology, Gender & Social Work - Enhancing Pacific Student Learning: the role of Departmental Pacific Islands Student Liaisons
- Higher Education Development Centre - Improving university processes, practices and pedagogies through attention to the narratives of international women students and former refugees
- Pacific Development Office – Pacific Bridging Programme (incl Marketing & Promotions Plan)
- Psychology - Somewhere I Belong - A social belonging intervention to improve Maori student's academic outcomes and well being
- First Year Experience - Getting Back on Track: Improving First Year success for students identified by the Academic Progression Policy as underperforming in a whole-of-institute approach
- Career Development Centre - Otago Extra: an employability award for Otago students
- Geography - Incorporating Māori environmental knowledge into field trips
2017 Improvement Grants Awarded:
- First Year Experience - Improving student success: the early identification of students at risk of under-performance and the provision of targeted support CELS191
- Quality Advancement Unit - Student Opinion Survey - Support Services Redesign Stage 2
- Pacific Development Office - University-wide Stocktake of initiatives to support Pacific Students
- Maori Health Workforce Development Unit, Division of Health Sciences - He Kupenga Matauranga: A Maori research information package for students
- First Year Experience - Improving first-year student success: the use of Academic Progression Policy Warning notification to identify under-performing 1st year students
- Career Development Centre - Alumni as Mentors programme
Read about the project in the September 2017 ANZSSA newsletter (PDF format, 1MB)
- Humanities Divisional Office - Enhancement of Mentoring and Peer Review of Teaching in the Division of Humanities
- Planning and Funding - Business Intelligence Stocktake
- Psychology - Graduate Longitudinal Study NZ analysis