Research and Enterprise staff work to support University of Otago researchers' funding applications to external funding bodies and University of Otago internal funding rounds.
Visit Funding opportunities to find funders who are seeking applications.
Research funding application advice and support | Te tohutohu me te tautoko i ngā tono pūtea rangahau
Research Advisers as first contact for funding applications
The Research and Enterprise Office have a team of Research Advisers to help you with the development and submission of your application to a funding body. Research Advisers work in particular fields of research related to their experience and expertise. They are your first point of contact for a funding application.
Financial and administrative support
Alongside Research Advisers the Operations team provides financial and administrative support for applications in progress, awarded funding and subsequent contracts. Operations team members also have particular portfolios reflecting their expertise.
Support with industry engagement
If you have a research proposal that may have potential for industry engagement and partnering with end-users of research, Business Development Managers assist with non-contestable funding.
Find a Business Development Manager
Funding application resources and tools for researchers | Ngā rauemi me ngā taputapu tono pūtea mā ngā kairangahau
Finding funding opportunities
Policies and protocols
- Panui Rangahau Māori - Māori Research Consultation
- Pacific Research Protocol
- Ethics and regulatory consents (for research involving people or animals)
- Further research-related policies and committees
Forms, guidelines, and budget development
Research forms and guidelines including:
- Application forms and guidelines for specific funders
- Costing and Consents Worksheet (CCW)
- Process forms
Reporting requirements for specific funding bodies
Funding application checklist for researchers | Te rārangi arowhai tono pūtea mā ngā kairangahau
Contact your Research Adviser for information and advice about funding opportunities for your research.
With your Research Adviser's assistance:
- Identify a suitable funding opportunity
- Confirm your research project's eligibility, departmental support if required, and funding application due date
- If your project includes collaborators ensure the relationship is clearly defined, your Research Adviser can advise about a formal agreement
Agreements with other organisations
- Complete the appropriate application forms
- Initiate Māori research consultation
Panui Rangahau Māori - Māori Research Consultation
- Obtain any ethical and/or regulatory consents applying to your research
Ethics and Regulatory Consents
- Develop the budget for the project
Research forms and guidelines provides a Costing and Consents Worksheet
- Sign-off the application materials yourself and also with your Head of Department and Dean / Pro-Vice-Chancellor authorisation if requested by the funder
- Submit full application materials to your Research Adviser to arrange for University of Otago formal sign off, and submission to the funding body
- Alert your Research Adviser of any communication from the funder
Keep in touch with your Research Adviser
Once your application has succeeded there will be a contract between the funder and the University to be negotiated. Research and Enterprise staff will work with Principal Investigators to set up and negotiate these contracts and make sure they adequately cover such matters as confidentiality, liability, indemnity, Intellectual Property (IP) and publication rights.
There will also be reporting requirements you will need to meet for the University and for the funder.
If your application is not fully funded seek advice from your Research Adviser.