This process applies if you have either a competitive research application or applied research proposal. If you are contracted by another organisation (as a sub-contract from them) you will be required to follow this process as well.
- Establish if your area of research will require any Māori consultation by submitting a Research Consultation with Māori Form.
- Discuss the project and its implications for space and resources with your Head of Department.
- Identify sources of funding and note closing deadlines and application requirements (note: dates may differ for WSMHS and CSMHS)
- Obtain application forms, guidelines and Costing and Consents Worksheets from http://www.otago.ac.nz/research/forms/
- Contact the Research and Enterprise Office to advise them that you are intending to submit a proposal. They can provide advice and guidance on the process
Application / Proposal
- Draft your Application and Costing and Consents Worksheet
- If you are working with an external organisation prepare a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) in consultation with the Research and Enterprise Office
- Electronically submit your Application and Costing and Consents Worksheet to Research and Enterprise Office for checking (before the internal deadline)
- Make any changes required by Research and Enterprise Office
- Once the Costing and Consents Worksheet and Application have been checked by Research & Enterprise Office get appropriate signatures from your HoD / Dean / PVC (Note: in CSMSHS only the HoD signature is required, in WSMHS the Research and Enterprise Office obtains signatures on your behalf)
- Submit final hard copy of Application and Costing and Consents Worksheet with appropriate signatures to the Research and Enterprise Office (and also an electronic version if possible)
- The Research and Enterprise Office obtains remaining required signatures, photocopies required number of copies and couriers to the funding body
We recommend you contact the Research and Enterprise Office early if you are planning on submitting a grant application or proposal. They will be able to help with advice and supply any other information that will be of help to you.
When you submit a grant application or proposal you will usually have to fill out an application form from the funding body. You are also required to complete a Costings and Consents Worksheet (CCW), which is internal to the University. Both these forms are available via the Research and Enterprise Office Forms and Guidelines site (where you can download the files to your computer).
You should email a copy of the final version of your Proposal and CCW to the Research and Enterprise Office by the internal deadline before you get them signed. If you get them signed before they are checked and they have errors in them, you may need to get your forms resigned.
If you are working with an external organisation (or person) you will need to set up a Memorandum of Understanding with that organisation. Please allow enough time to get this signed by both parties prior to the application being sent. Please discuss this with the Research & Enterprise Office.
Usually, the internal deadline is 5 working days before the funding bodies' deadline. Please check out the funding opportunities webpage for this information (Note that some deadlines differ for Wellington and Christchurch).
Processing of Applications
Once your application has been checked and submitted the Research and Enterprise Office will photocopy the number of applications required and courier it to them by the due date on your behalf.
If you have any colour photocopies in your application, you will need to supply the correct number of copies to be inserted into your application. Please discuss this with the Research and Enterprise Office in advance.