Have you ever wanted to write a book or article about your favourite scientific topic? This endorsement is designed for those who love science and have a passion for writing. Not only are you taught by some of the best science writers in the business, you may also have an opportunity to intern with a popular science magazine, a major publishing company, or alongside an industry insider. If you specialise in this area, you will:
- Learn how to craft compelling stories - the key skill for effective communication and writing.
- Develop critiquing abilities so as to understand from the audience's perspective what works and what does not.
- Learn effective writing techniques that capitalise on human psychology.
- Develop an understanding of how to make science communication more engaging.
- Learn how to critically analyse empirical data, as well as design and conduct scientific research.
- Acquire practical skills of the publishing industry (how to pitch to editors, construct book proposals, find an agent, and so on).
The papers in this endorsement area include:*
- SCOM 402 The Craft of Storytelling
- SCOM 403 Science and Creative Non-Fiction Writing
- SCOM 404 Science Communication Internship
- SCOM 406 Science Communication Strategies and Resources
- SCOM 409 Introduction to Science Communication
- SCOM 411 The Techniques of Natural History and Science Filmmaking I
- SCOM 495 Thesis Preparation and Proposal
*coursework pathways may differ depending on qualification/degree being sought