This is one of the world's premier courses in Science and Natural History Filmmaking. Taught in association with NHNZ, an industry leader in the production of factual films, our film stream has produced more award-winning filmmakers and films than all of the others combined. Be taught by the best in the business while crafting your skills in one of the most spectacular places on the planet - the verdant wild bottom of New Zealand's South Island. Honestly, it doesn't get better than this! In this endorsement area, you will:
- Experience the workings and folks at NHNZ, an institution specialising in factual filmmaking.
- Learn how to craft stories - the key skill for effective communication and filmmaking.
- Develop critiquing abilities so as to understand from the audience's perspective what works and what does not.
- Hone your camera and editing techniques.
- Develop an understanding of the elements of design that make communication engaging.
- Learn how to critically analyse empirical data, as well as design and conduct scientific research.
- If you undertake the full Masters, you'll produce a commercial length film and - if it's truly exceptional - showcase it before a live audience at an established film festival.
The papers in this endorsement area include:
- SCOM 402 The Craft of Storytelling
- SCOM 413 Digital Production for Communicating Science
- SCOM 409 Introduction to Science Communication
- SCOM 405 The Business of Natural History and Science Filmmaking
- SCOM 411 The Techniques of Natural History and Science Filmmaking I (Camera)
- SCOM 412 The Techniques of Natural History and Science Filmmaking II (Edit)