The PGDipSciComm is an excellent option for those who want an immersive exposure to science communication. After a year, students have developed the skills of a professional science communicator and a marketable portfolio of work.
The Centre for Science Communication offers three endorsements in the PGDipSciComm: Creative Non-Fiction Writing in Science (CNWS), Science and Natural History Filmmaking (SNHF) and Science in Society (SSOC).
Students are required to take six papers from the list below. For full-time students, the degree can be completed in one academic year and allows flexibility for the CNWS and SNHF student to begin coursework at the start of either semester. Part-time students can spread their 120-credit degree requirements over the course of two years.
For further information regarding the Diploma option, or to discuss whether it is the right fit for you, contact our postgraduate coordinator:
Professor Nancy Longnecker
Tel: +64 3 479 7885
- SCOM402 The Craft of Storytelling (20 pts; Semester 1)
- SCOM409 Introduction to Science Communication (20 pts; Semester 1)
- SCOM413 Digital Production for Science Communication (20 pts; Semester 1)
- SCOM404 Science Communication Internship (20 pts; Semesters 1 and 2)
- SCOM403 Science and Creative Non-Fiction Writing (20 pts; Semester 2)
- SCOM405 Business of Filmmaking (20 pts; Semester 2)
- SCOM406 Science Exhibitions and Interpretation (20 pts; Semester 2)
- SCOM411 The Techniques of Natural History and Science Filmmaking I (20 pts; Semester 2)
- SCOM412 The Techniques of Natural History and Science Filmmaking II (20 pts; Semester 2)