The PGDipSciComm is an excellent option for those who want an immersive exposure to science communication. After a year, students have developed the skills of a professional science communicator and a marketable portfolio of work.
The Centre for Science Communication offers three endorsements in the PGDipSciComm: Creative Non-Fiction Writing in Science (CNWS), Science and Natural History Filmmaking (SNHF) and Science in Society (SSOC).
Students are required to take six papers from the list below. For full-time students, the degree can be completed in one academic year and allows flexibility for the CNWS and SSOC students to begin coursework at the start of either semester. Part-time students can spread their 120-credit degree requirements over the course of two years.
For further information regarding the Diploma option, or to discuss whether it is the right fit for you, contact our postgraduate coordinator:
- SCOM 402 The Craft of Storytelling (20 pts; Semester 1)
- SCOM 409 Introduction to Science Communication (20 pts; Semester 1)
- SCOM 413 Digital Production for Science Communication (20 pts; Semester 1)
- SCOM 404 Science Communication Internship (20 pts; Semesters 1 and 2)
- SCOM 403 Science and Creative Non-Fiction Writing (20 pts; Semester 2)
- SCOM 405 Business of Filmmaking (20 pts; Semester 2)
- SCOM 406 Science Exhibitions and Interpretation (20 pts; Semester 2)
- SCOM 411 The Techniques of Natural History and Science Filmmaking I (20 pts; Semester 2)
- SCOM 412 The Techniques of Natural History and Science Filmmaking II (20 pts; Semester 2)