The Science Students Pacific Islands Association (SSPIA) is the first of its kind at the University of Otago. Created to be the student voice for Pacific Science students, the founding executive team includes students from a range of Science fields, and levels of study.
SSPIA Executive Team
- President: Eirenei Taua'i (BSc Neuroscience, BA Pacific Islands Studies)
- Vice President: Ravi Ratnam (MSc Science Communication)
- Treasurer: Jacob Koria (BSc Anatomy)
- Secretary: Jemimah Lagaluga (BSc Zoology)
- Communications Officer: Sam-Baker Leota (BSc Neuroscience)
- Postgraduate Officer: Jaye Moors (PhD Biochemistry)
- General Executive Member: Isabella Leenders (BSc Neuroscience)
- General Executive Member: Ratu Bishop (DipGrad Molecular Biotechnology, BSc Genetics)
SSPIA commenced weekly lunches on the Wednesday of the second week after their semester two welcome. It was decided that each lunch would focus on a specific field of study as a theme, and hosted by two members of the executive SSPIA committee. The lunches provide a great opportunity to catch up with other students and to directly interact with invited researchers.