Meningitis B (Men B) vaccine is fully funded for all NZ residents aged 13–25 years who are currently living in college accommodation.
Meningitis ACWY vaccine is fully funded for NZ residents aged 13–25 years entering or in their first year of college accommodation.
We strongly recommend all students, particularly those living in residential colleges, be vaccinated against meningococcal disease before coming to Dunedin. Historically, there are at least one or two cases among students at the University of Otago annually. Vaccination will provide good levels of protection. Unfortunately there is not a single vaccine that covers all of these strains.
Three injections are required to provide optimal protection against current circulating strains of meningococcal disease: two of the Men B and one of the meningitis ACWY vaccine.
There are clinics available for these vaccines – please call Student Health.
- Meningococcal disease (including meningitis), Ministry of Health website
- Bexsero: A vaccine to protect against meningococcal group B disease – Immunisation Advisory Centre
- New Zealand Residents 13–25 years living in college accommodation – Free
- Non New Zealand residents and those not entering college accommodation – $110 (each dose) plus $10 nurse charge
- New Zealand Residents 13–25 years entering or first year living in college accommodation – Free
- Non New Zealand residents and those not entering college accommodation – $103 plus $10 nurse charge