Friday 14 February 2020 2:26pm
Are you living in a college? You can get a free meningitis ACWY vaccine
Get your protection early when you need it most.
Meningitis ACWY vaccine is free. It is fully funded for New Zealand residents aged 13–25 years entering college accommodation.
We strongly recommend all students, particularly those living in residential colleges*, be vaccinated against meningococcal disease.
Historically, there are at least one or two cases among students at the University of Otago annually. Vaccination will provide good levels of protection (73–100%).
Unfortunately there is not a single vaccine that covers all of these strains. Three injections are required to provide optimal protection against current circulating strains of meningococcal disease:
- Two of the meningitis B vaccine (which need to be at least four weeks apart)
- One of the meningitis ACYW vaccine
* Unfortunately Uni Flats do not meet the Ministry of Health criteria for subsidised meningitis ACWY vaccine
For information regarding meningococcal disease and vaccines available visit:
Make an appointment
Student Health are running lots of extra clinics during the week beginning 24 February.
Please contact us to book your appointment as soon as possible.
- NZ$110 (each, course of two vaccinations)
- New Zealand residents 13–25 years entering college accommodation — Free
- Non-New Zealand residents and those not entering college accommodation — NZ$100
- New Zealand resident — NZ$10 (no charge for subsidised Meningitis ACWY)
- International students — NZ$40