Accessibility Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu

 Certified documents

Campus grounds outside ISB

If you have been asked to provide certified (witnessed/notarised) documentation so that your application can be finalised, it is important that documents are correctly certified.

A certified copy is a photocopy of an original document that has been stamped or endorsed by an authorised person who confirms that the copy is a true copy of the original document.

Note: Any documents supplied must be in English or be accompanied by an English translation.

What you need to do

For all documents giving evidence of name, date of birth, name changes, citizenship or residency status:


  • Take the original document and a photocopy to a person of suitable authority (see list below)


  • Bring the original copy to the AskOtago Central Hub, in the Information Services Building, where a photocopy of the document will be made and certified for you.

    ^ Top of Page

Appropriate authorised person

You should normally have your documents certified, in English, as true copies of originals by an authorised person i.e. a person listed in the Oaths and Declarations Act 1957 such as:

The following may also certify documents:

  • Notary Public
  • Court Registrar or Deputy Registrar
  • University of Otago Administrative or Liaison Staff
  • Member of Parliament
  • Land Transport New Zealand, Public Trust, or local authority employee (who must be authorised under the Oaths and Declarations Act 1957 - an authorised stamp is required)

Students within New Zealand may wish to check the Yellow Pages for a list of Justices of the Peace in their area. Students from remote areas who do not have access to anyone in the approved categories should contact AskOtago for advice.

^ Top of Page

What the authorised person needs to do

Example of correct certification

When certifying the photocopy this person must indicate the authority with which the copy is certified as true (e.g. Certified true copy, W B Smith, Justice of the Peace).

The person's name should be printed under his or her signature if not easily legible.

Other officials or professionals should not normally be asked to certify documents. Check the Yellow Pages for Justices of the Peace in your area.

If you do not have access to anyone in the approved categories, you should contact AskOtago for advice

^ Top of Page

Sending in your documents

Send all correctly certified documents to:

Group Leader Student Administration
Student Experience
University of Otago
PO Box 56
Dunedin 9054
New Zealand

Note: If you are posting documents to us, we urge you to send certified copies only. No responsibility can be taken for original documents that are lost or damaged.

^ Top of Page

Evidence requirements

See the evidence requirements web page

^ Top of Page