Accessibility Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu

Changing your graduation application

Graduates throwing trencher

Deferring your graduation

The Degrees and Other Awards Statute of the University states that you must graduate within twelve months of completing your qualification.

This means that if, for example, you complete your qualification at the end of second semester (ie. in November), you must graduate either in December of the same year or in May or August of the following year.

Anyone who has not applied to graduate nor been granted permission to defer will automatically have their qualification awarded in absentia. Their certificate will then be held by the Student Administration.

Applying to defer

Permission to defer graduation is usually granted only to allow you to complete a second qualification so that you may have both awarded at the same ceremony.

It is rare for permission to be granted if you wish to defer graduating for more than one year.

If you wish to defer your graduation, you must submit a request in writing (either a letter or an email) to the Group Leader Student Administration.

Contact Student Administration

^ Top of page


Withdrawing from a graduation ceremony

If you need to withdraw your application to graduate (either in person or in absentia), click on the "Withdraw from ceremony" link within your eVision student portal.

You need to do this at least five weeks prior to the date of the ceremony.  Provided you are still within twelve months of completing your qualification, you can reapply for a place in a ceremony to be held at a later date.

If you have applied to graduate in person and need to give less than five weeks notice, please contact Student Administration directly. As we will be unable to remove your name from the graduation programme, your qualification will be awarded in absentia. If this happens, you will not be able to attend another ceremony as you can graduate only once with each qualification.

Note that if you are graduating in person and you withdraw your application, this removes you from the ceremony entirely it does not change your application status to in absentia.  To change your application status from in person to in absentia, please read the information below.

Changing from in person to in absentia

If you wish to change your application status from in person to in absentia, then you can do so by clicking on the "Withdraw from ceremony" link within your eVision student portal. 

Note: You will only be able to change your status up until five weeks prior to the date of your graduation ceremony.

If you have any problems, or wish to change your status after the above-mentioned deadline, please contact Student Administration for advice.

^ Top of Page