|Value||Up to $16,000 over three years|
|Number offered||Two per year|
|Applications open/close||Applicants will apply for the University of Otago Performance Entrance Scholarship|
Established by the University Council in 2017 to encourage excellence in areas of academic achievement and rugby, these scholarships are available to academically strong students with demonstrated high-level ability in rugby.
General eligibility criteria
Application for all Entrance Scholarships are normally open to students who meet the requirements of 1.1 OR 1.2, AND 2. Those who fit within 3 are ineligible.
1.1 Are New Zealand citizens, New Zealand permanent residents, Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents with domestic fee status;
1.2 International students who have completed Year 12 and have completed or are in the process of completing Year 13 at a New Zealand school, or an equivalent foundation level course at a New Zealand tertiary institution.
2 Are intending to enrol or have enrolled for the first time for first-year (100-level papers), full-time degree-level, undergraduate study at the University of Otago.
3 Those who have studied more than 0.4 EFTs at any University or tertiary institution at degree-level or higher are not normally eligible.
Exceptions to 0.4 EFTS or less are considered when all previous University or tertiary level study has been undertaken whilst concurrently enrolled at secondary school.
Specific eligibility criteria for this Scholarship
In addition to the above eligibility criteria, applicants must:
- Be performing at an elite level in Rugby.
- Have achieved NCEA Level 2 endorsed with merit, or equivalent.
Applicants will apply for the University of Otago Performance Entrance Scholarship to be considered for the University of Otago Alumni in America Inc. Rugby Performance Entrance Scholarship.
All applications for Entrance Scholarships are done through eVision, the University's student management system. In order to apply for a scholarship, you will be required to go through the first stages of enrolment at the University of Otago to access the Entrance Scholarship online application.
For more information on the application process, as well as step-by-step instructions, please visit the apply for an entrance scholarship webpage.
Before going through the application process, it is important to ensure that you are adequately prepared to begin the application. What you will need to prepare for your application is listed on the scholarship application preparation webpage.
Selection of recipients
The Selection Committee consisting of the Director of Development and Alumni Relations, in the chair, the Dean of the School of Physical Education, Sport and Exercise Sciences, and the Manager, Undergraduate Entrance Scholarships, or nominees, shall consider the following factors in recommending the award of the scholarships:
- Demonstrated excellence in rugby.
- Academic ability.
- Demonstrated leadership ability (this may be shown through leadership in school, sporting, cultural and/or community settings).
- The recommendation and ranking of the President of the Otago University Rugby Football Club or their nominee.
The Scholarship Terms and Conditions can be found here, with clauses 15 and 16 specific to this Scholarship copied below.
- Recipients of the University of Otago Alumni of the University of Otago in America Inc. Rugby Entrance Scholarship represent Otago or equivalent at the regional level, and must play for, and be a financial member of the Otago University Rugby Football Club for the tenure of the scholarship.
- Recipients of the Alumni in America Inc. Rugby Performance Entrance Scholarships are required to communicate with the Manager, Entrance Scholarships, in each year of tenure, reporting their achievements and challenges of the past season by 1 September.
In addition, the following applies to this Scholarship:
- Tenure is up to three years. Tenure in years two and three requires a GPA of 3.0 or better (C+), and to have passed all papers for the previous year.
- $6,000 for year one. $5,000 for year two and $5,000 for year three, subject to satisfactory academic performance.
- Recipients may request continuation of their scholarship if their GPA is not at the required level by writing to the Manager, Undergraduate Entrance Scholarships (firstname.lastname@example.org) asking that the Deputy Vice-Chancellor External Engagement approve continuation of the scholarship into year two or three. The Deputy Vice-Chancellor External Engagement will consider the following factors when making their decision (and may consider other things):
- A written request received from the student, outlining why they would like some leniency in the GPA requirement. It is recommended that this request is received by 31 January.
- Evidence of sport or cultural activity performance and associated commitments, if relevant.
- Evidence of medical impairment, if relevant.
- Please note that, unless an exception is specified, other University of Otago Entrance Scholarships cannot normally be held concurrently with other Entrance Scholarships. The exception to this is the Dux Entrance Scholarship, which may be held concurrently at the value specified in its regulations.
You are likely to find the Frequently Asked Questions helpful and we recommend that you read them.
To find out more about Entrance Scholarships, please contact us:
If you have a University of Otago student identification number, please include this in your email.